Forums

Does PA support Haystack Search backends, other than Whoosh?

Hello,

I'm considering hosting my Django project on PA, but I need to know if search backends like Xapian, ElasticSearch or Solr are available in PA. I'm using Haystack in my project that has a search functionality that cannot work with Whoosh.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, they are not available yet.

Ok, thanks for letting me know.

I hope you guys make it available, as I'm really enjoying PythonAnywhere's services, and having support for Solr or ElasticSearch would be great.

Thanks! I think most of the other backends require Java, which will require some changes to our virtualisation system. That's something we're working on, but no timelines for a release yet...

Hello, Should we expect to see Elasticsearch functionality in the near future?

Thank you.

Java support is pretty high up our list (because the change that makes it possible would also allow us to fix some other issues) but we don't have a timeline right now.

Hey gents, any updates on this one? ES or Solr support coming soon?

We are running a beta for the new virtualization system (which would allow java etc). If you want we can turn that on for you and you can experiment with setting up ES/Solr?

Hi, Could you please activate the new virtualization system for my account (rehmanareeb1)? Want to try out ES & Solr.

Sure, I have done that for you now.

Thanks! I installed ES and got its server to run in bash. Since we aren't able to have servers run in always-on tasks, are there any work-arounds for hosting an ES server on PythonAnywhere?

No, there are not at the moment.

Hi, Could you please activate the new virtualization system for my account (frasulov)? Want to try out ES & Solr

No problem. I have enabled it for your account.

Hi, Could you please activate the new virtualization system for my account (idautsolutions)? Want to try out Elasticsearch

@idautsolutions It's done for you

Hi, Could you please activate the new virtualization system for my account (owenshop)? Want to try out Elasticsearch

It's already active on your account.

Hi! Could you please activate the virtualization system for my account (theodeivi)? I would like to try out elasticsearch too.

It's already active for you.

Could I ask a silly question maybe then: how do i get elasticsearch constantly running then (not just as a python package but in console)? I presume i have to add the elasticsearch files to my files folder and then run the exec file from console but there is not enough space to install everything - what is the solution to this? Thank you once again.

Elasticsearch is not supported on PythonAnywhere yet, you can follow this thread.