Forums

ipython as demo'ed on Youtube?

I'm looking at the discouragingly long running http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G5YTlheCbw&feature=related demo of ipython (3 hours 15 minutes, groan!). I tried on pythonanywhere.com some of the commands he used in the demo. Some of it flat out didn't work. Sure looks like he has more graphical stuff working than you do. Can you make the things that he shows off actually work on your site?

I'll be right back with some copy and paste to show you what happened in my early stabs at this.

Drew

$ ipython qtconsole
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/bin/ipython", line 9, in <module>
load_entry_point('ipython==0.12.1', 'console_scripts', 'ipython')()
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/ipython-0.12.1-py2.6.egg/IPython/frontend/terminal/ipapp.py", line 402, in launch_new_instance
app.initialize()
File "<string>", line 2, in initialize
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/ipython-0.12.1-py2.6.egg/IPython/config/application.py", line 84, in catch_config_error
return method(app, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/ipython-0.12.1-py2.6.egg/IPython/frontend/terminal/ipapp.py", line 302, in initialize
super(TerminalIPythonApp, self).initialize(argv)
File "<string>", line 2, in initialize
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/ipython-0.12.1-py2.6.egg/IPython/config/application.py", line 84, in catch_config_error
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/ipython-0.12.1-py2.6.egg/IPython/core/application.py", line 325, in initialize
self.parse_command_line(argv)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/ipython-0.12.1-py2.6.egg/IPython/frontend/terminal/ipapp.py", line 297, in parse_command_line
return super(TerminalIPythonApp, self).parse_command_line(argv)
File "<string>", line 2, in parse_command_line
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/ipython-0.12.1-py2.6.egg/IPython/config/application.py", line 413, in parse_command_line
return self.initialize_subcommand(subc, subargv)
File "<string>", line 2, in initialize_subcommand
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/ipython-0.12.1-py2.6.egg/IPython/config/application.py", line 349, in initialize_subcommand
subapp = import_item(subapp)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/ipython-0.12.1-py2.6.egg/IPython/utils/importstring.py", line 40, in import_item
module = __import__(package,fromlist=[obj])
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/ipython-0.12.1-py2.6.egg/IPython/frontend/qt/console/qtconsoleapp.py", line 30, in <module>
from IPython.external.qt import QtCore, QtGui
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/ipython-0.12.1-py2.6.egg/IPython/external/qt.py", line 42, in <module>
raise ImportError('Cannot import PySide >= 1.0.3 or PyQt4 >= 4.7')
ImportError: Cannot import PySide >= 1.0.3 or PyQt4 >= 4.7
04:13 ~ $

Oh yuck. The newlines all get scrogged when I post here. See http://pastebin.com/yv0XUFiY for an unmangled paste of the messages.

[Newline problem fixed by admin]

Moving along to roughly 1 hour 20 minutes into the talk try "$ ipython notebook". Some messages whiz by about port #'s (but don't seem to end up anywhere that I can copy and paste), and in any case the screen doesn't end up looking at all like it does in the demo where things end up in tidy panels with clickable buttons.

Around the 2 hour, 1 minute mark, the 2nd speaker explains that the default is for ipython notebook to only work with localhost, but he then goes on to explain how to securely set it up for network access. But I don't know enough to be able to map his instructions into the pythonanywhere.com world.

Hi Drew,

Right now the graphical aspects of IPython don't work on PythonAnywhere, as we're a non-graphical environment. Working around that is on our list, but it might be a while before it's done -- it's just a fundamentally hard problem, getting Qt to work over the Internet.

IPython notebook is web-based, so it's a different matter; it doesn't work right now due to the specific way we host web applications, but it should be considerably easier to fix than the graphical stuff -- we've had some success with experimental versions in the lab. Doing so is very high on our list of priorities; I'll add an upvote on your behalf, and that will bump it still higher -- hopefully we should be able to take a stab at it soon.

Cheers,

Giles

@giles:

Any further developments in getting Qt to work over the wire please?

Best, Jim

Not at the moment, no.

Right now we're working on providing switchable system images, so that people who rely on our old support of Django 1.3 for Python 2.7 won't get messed up when we change the default system image for new accounts to Django 1.6 (or 1.7 or whatever).

Thanks Giles.

Back to curses!