Forums

When to upgrade account?

I recently opened my website for public beta and was looking at Google page speed numbers. The results are not that great so I was wondering if upgrading account will speed up my website. I am paying $22 currently. In general when do you know if it is time to upgrade pythonanywhere account?

That's an excellent question! In general, if your site is running slowly, we can always advise you on whether adding more worker processes will help. We've got some work in progress that will automate that at some point in the future, at which point we'll be able to send you an email suggesting an upgrade when will be useful.

For right now -- I took a look at the load on your site (I'm guessing you're talking about the custom domain one) and it doesn't look like upgrading will get you the most bang for the buck. Instead, try using the "static files" table to specify where your static assets -- images, CSS and JavaScript are. That should speed things up substantially.

Thanks for the response. Can you please elaborate on "static files" table? I collect all the static file in static folder. Is there something else I need to do? Am I missing something?

Check out the PythonAnywhere help pages on this.

Basically setting it up that way will let you serve your static files without running your code/using your workers (so your workers will be free to serve other requests instead of being tied up serving static files)

(it works by offloading the static file requests to another thread)