Forums

CPU Allowance

My current usage is reported as:

"100% used (5420.28s of your 5,000 second CPU allowance) Allowance resets in 22 hours, 23 minutes"

This implies that I have been at nearly 100% utilization of the CPU since the allowance was reset. I haven't had any consoles running for most of that time. Is there any way to get more data on what process has used the CPU allowance?

It seems the CPU time used continues to accrue even without a console running, what is causing this?

I've only been on PA for one day so forgive me if I missing something obvious!

Did you setup any Scheduled jobs?

Only 1 and it hadn't run when I posted above, it completed in 40s early this morning. Also documentation on the tarpit says scheduled tasks are not affected.

Now says:

(38200.37s of your 5,000 second CPU allowance) Allowance resets in 12 hours, 32 minutes

It looks like you had a runaway process that escaped somehow and survived you killing your console. That's totally our fault! I'll reset your counters...

Thanks Harry, slippery little so-and-so hey? In case it help with avoiding other breakouts:

I had some issues with loading bash terminals where it would just hang in the loading...

I also got some beef from the html5lib parser in Beautiful Soup 4 that I didn't get on my local machine whereby the script froze when using it on a particular HTML document.

Hi ef -- just sticking my oar in here while Harry's working on something else... were the bash console hangs this morning? One of our console servers had a bit of a hiccup where existing bash consoles worked fine but new ones would hang. I'd not expect the problem to be consistent from your viewpoint (which console server you connect to is random) but if it was only happening this morning and only happened for new consoles, then it's a known problem (which I just fixed).

Re: BeautifulSoup -- which version do you have installed locally? (eg. pip freeze | grep BeautifulSoup)

The console issue was late last night around midnight. I tried a few times and the console hanged but after 4-5 attempts at opening and killing I got there.

I'll let you know the BSoup version later when back on my machine.

OK. Hopefully the console problems are fixed now, but let me know if you see it happening again.

BeautifulSoup 4.1.3

How are you importing it? We have both BeautifulSoup 3.2.1 and BeautifulSoup 4.2.1 installed. You import the former with import BeautifulSoup and the latter with import bs4.

If you're already importing bs4, then perhaps it's a bug they've introduced in the newer version that we have. Not sure what the best thing to suggest in that case is. You could pin it to an earlier version or work in a virtualenv with that version, perhaps -- I can give some hints on how to do that if you need them.

Thanks Giles, im using the bs4 method everywhere. I've just removed the html5lib parser argument and it works fine. I'm not parsing much and it's standard HTML so this isn't really an issue. Just thought it might help you in debugging the runaway process.

OK, thanks. If everything's working now, I think we can just chalk it up to the console server problem (for anyone who's interested, it hit an OS limit on the number of PTYs).