Forums

Anyone setup Haystack?

Hi,

I am having trouble with the final step of the Haystack setup - Reindex. I ran the command 'python manage.py rebuild_index' and I am getting this error message:

ImportError: No module named 'haystack'.

Any ideas?

Hi there- I see that your website is running right now. Were you able to solve this issue?

If not, I would double check

1. are you using a different version of python when running python manage.py (that defaults to python2.7)
  2. if you are using a virtualenv, did you have the virtualenv activated when you were running that command? (and also be sure to set the virtualenv in your webapps config)

Hi conrad,

Thank you! It worked when I tried 'python3.5 manage.py rebuild_index', instead of 'python manage.py rebuild_index'.

For future reference, I am typing 'workon django17' at the beginning of a bash console session. What does that do?

I don't believe I am using a virtualenv. I don't remember setting one up.

Hi there,

For future reference, you can find out whether your web app is using a virtualenv by looking on the Web tab. There's a virtualenv section for your web app config. If it's empty, you're not using a virtualenv.

The web app tab is also the place to go to check what version of Python your web app is using.

Thank you, Harry. That helped a lot.

I thought PythonAnywhere did not support Haystack? Has this changed?

Seems like haystack + whoosh is supported and perhaps haystack + xapian as well.

That's great, thanks!