I moved to PythonAnywhere a webapp using Bottle, that perfectly worked locally. When I get data from the MySQLdb, I get the wrong characters. The database uses utf8 default charset for the database itself and for each table, and the Python connection is estabilished this way: conn = db.connect('mysql.server', 'username', 'password', 'database_name', port = 3306, connect_timeout = 10, charset='utf8') but I keep getting the wrong characters: the 'ù' characters should be returned as u'\u00f9', but is instead returned with the sequence u'\u00c3\u00b9'.
I can see the correct characters inside the MySQL console, but are wrong when returned with MySQLdb. I also tried to use cur.execute('''SET NAMES utf8''') and also conn.set_character_set('utf8') with no change in the returned character set.