Forums

gandi.net cname

I spent all day trying to get pythonanywhere working with gandi.net and finally got it to work, so if anyone else is stuck, I'd be happy to help!

@crock1255: Welcome to PA. I hope you have a great time here with us!!!

No offense, but if it took all day to get it working that makes gandi.net sound like a terrible service that must be avoided. Of course I'm probably missing something because there are no other details...☺

Maybe all day was a bit of an exaggeration, and I do think it was a bit confusing, but It was my first time really messing around cnames. I also didn't find too many resources out there, so thought I'd lend a hand for anyone in my situation. I don't want to knock gandi.net, but I've had easier times on dreamhost, go-daddy, etc.

I'm always somewhat surprised how poor an interface many DNS hosting providers offer (disclaimer: I've never used gandi.net so I can't comment on them specifically). There seem to be very few occupying the middle ground between being able to create a fixed number of A records for subdomains and maybe CNAMEs if you're luck; and those who basically say "here's your zone file, knock yourself out". Personally I'm quite happy with the latter, but DNS is a bit of a subtle beast and many people would be overwhelmed by direct editing of records.

Anyway, glad you got it working eventually! (^_^)

EDIT

If we got a PA wiki going, it might be a good place for people to put instructions for their specific DNS hosts as they find out.

@crock1255 - congratulations, glad you got it working :-)

@a2j, @Cartroo -- right, DNS hosting providers are generally pretty terrible when it comes to user interfaces. I think we've discussed here before the possibility of doing something ourselves on PythonAnywhere... I kind of feel it would be almost impossible for us to do worse than the other DNS providers, but of course it's really a question of whether we should work on that or on other more Python-y things.

Oh, and the Wiki is on its way -- there's still some work to do but I think Glenn's solved all of the hard problems. And, of course, unrelatedly (but I'm sure a2j will be wondering) Postgres is on its way too...

@giles: Well, DNS hosting on PA would, of course, be the most convenient solution, but I agree that it feels a little peripheral to PA's core mission right now. I guess like a lot of things it boils down to how much work it ends up being... Shame there isn't a crystal ball that tells that in advance, eh?

Glad to hear the wiki's on the way - while the forums are a valuable resource, I think wikis are hard to beat for guiding people to the right information (assuming they're properly organised).

Did someone say Postgres? CHEERS!!

As far as DNS hosting put it on the list for when you run out of other things, just keep it at the correct priority of we never need to get here, but if we did it would help some users out.

Out of curiosity, if you did do DNS would you run it on a cluster of Raspberry Pi's?...☺

Edited: 2013-05-09-1212 to correct spelling of RasberyPi's [sic]

I think we'd just need one ;-)

My birthday is coming up. I'm hoping to get a (or more) Raspberry Pi...☺