Forums

MySQL with JSON support?

As of version 5.7.8 MySQL included native support for a JSON data type. Is this version available on PythonAnywhere? Thanks! Ben

We don't have MySQL 5.7 yet.

Do we still not have MySQL 5.7?

enter image description here

Unfortunately not.

On a serious note: MySQL 5.7.8 has been out for almost 2 years...

You have an account that has been around for a long time. More recent accounts (since May 2016) are on 5.6.

I would like to use MySQL with GeoDango which apparently is only available for InnoDB tables in 5.7.

I'll try and use sqlite spatialite for testing.

Hi Glenn, Are there plans to upgrade to MySQL 5.7 in the near future? Was hoping for support for the JSON datatype as well. Thanks.

hi there, that is something we are planning to do, but we do not have a concrete timeline for that yet.

any update on this?

No- unfortunately no updates on this yet.

That's a bit disappointing the original question was nearly 2 years ago, the post saying 5.7.8 had been out for 2 years is almost a year old now and still no updates. I was hoping to use the JSON data type too.

We do need to start supporting it, yes. The problem, at least for existing accounts, is the migrations -- migrating thousands of databases with minimal downtime is really hard. But perhaps it would be useful if we provided it at least for new accounts...?

That would be awesome and give current users the opportunity to upgrade. Don’t necessarily need to force everyone to do it right?

OK, thanks! We'll look into doing that. We already have some users on 5.5, so we're used to managing different MySQL versions.

I also need a MySQL instance which supports JSON datatypes. I don't know why I thought you supported 5.7. :'(

No, not yet. A lot of things have been backed up due to GDPR compliance -- MySQL 5.7 (at least for new users) is one of the things we're planning to look at after that, though if it turns out to be difficult it might take a while.

Any update on MySQL 5.7?

Not yet.

Quick correction here, we're running some tests that Glenn wasn't aware of. No official ETA yet, though.

This space hasn't been check in a minute, just thought I'd drop in and see where we're at?

Good timing :-) Right now, new accounts get MySQL 5.7 by default. We'll be moving people over to 5.7 on request in the New Year -- would you like me to add you to the list of accounts to move over?

Also -- any thoughts on whether we should just upgrade the databases for everyone at some later point? We're uncertain -- some people's code might be broken by the upgrade -- it's not 100% clear to us whether 5.6 -> 5.7 is a backward-compatible upgrade in all cases.