Forums

strange Blackberry playbook bug

The BB playbook browser handles both the console and file editor web interfaces, however the soft keyboard seems to be transmitting all text to consoles and the editor IN CAPS. Clearly this is an issue when coding in a case sensitive language!

This is only an issue on python anywhere - "normal" html textboxes and textareas work fine. (note - ALL CAPS occurs whether or not the keyboard is in caps mode). Is it something to do with a buggy websockets implementation in the browser?

Also - more of a playbook problem really, but given the way the playbook browser implements copy & paste, there is no way to paste into a python anywhere console or editor (the browser fails to bring up the context menu and the soft keyboard does not support CTRL-V operations).

Any ideas?

Hi tripleDee,

You could try visiting keys.pythonanywhere.com and typing some of the keys into that. It will at least tell us what charCodes the Blackberry is sending to our consoles. That might help. We used to have a playbook in the office but not any more so we can't directly test the bug.

@hansel: I think you meant keys.pythonanywhere.com (being used to Dokuwiki syntax I also make the same mistake all the time).

Thanks, Cartroo -- I've corrected Hansel's post.

Ok - very strange. All letter keycodes are coming out with the shift modifier as true, whether or not shift is set. As you can tell from this post, the soft keyboard is working ok, but somehow between the keyboard and the keys app the keycode is being set to CAPS. So, for example both q and Q have the same keycode 81 and register as shift applied. I don't know if that helps at all?

Okay, so I think that implies that something is wrong with the JavaScript interpreter on the Playbook browser. Typing into a text area is fine but sending characters via JavaScript capturing is borked. This is probably unfixable for us. Because 'q' and 'Q' are sending the same code. So we could either make everything lower case, or everything upper case. Neither of which would be very helpful for programming.

Ok. Thanks for looking into it - one to file with RIM!

Oh, this is great one, I never thought that idea like this is something that possible to do so..

Totally random spam...

That also 404s.