Forums

I accidentally triggered a uninstall of my Django 1.3.7

I had my Django app for a long time now and just a few minutes ago when I was trying to get django-github-hook my site seemed to go kablooie because after following the steps when I still didn't see any place in my django admin to add webhook, I stupidly tried throwing the word --upgrade in my pip install command. (By the way earlier I had run pip install --user django-github-hook and it did seem to successfully install in my console. I just thought I'd try it in the folder with manage.py without --user on the off chance Django was separate. Super dumb, I know now.)

I have the bash console showing what happened and it seemed it triggered it to uninstall Django. I'll paste the console record below this.

I did back up my files so I could rebuild it all, I think, but any way to put the Django 1.3.7 back? I'd be happy if you could simply rewind my entire account a few hours? My attempt at adding django-github-hook was just an experiment. I'd prefer just having a working site again if at all possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can offer.

3:20 ~/django/myproject$ pip install --upgrade  django-github-hook
        Requirement already up-to-date: django-github-hook in /home/fomightez/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages
        Requirement already up-to-date: djangorestframework in /home/fomightez/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages (from django-github-hook)
        Collecting Django (from django-github-hook)
          Downloading Django-1.8.5-py2.py3-none-any.whl (6.2MB)
            100% |████████████████████████████████| 6.2MB 56kB/s
    Installing collected packages: Django
      Found existing installation: Django 1.3.7
        Uninstalling Django-1.3.7:

We can't easily rewind your account, but you can probably fix the problem by going to .local/lib/python2.7/site-packages inside your home directory, and removing the Django install files -- probably just a directory called django and maybe a Django-1.8.5.dist-info one too.

Giles, you were spot on once again. I just deleted those two directories and hit the big green Reload button under the Web tab, and it is back like it it never happened.

(Well with one exception. Now I do see a place to add webhooks in the Django console admin. Weird. I don't know why it wasn't there before when I expected it. Maybe I rushed looking or cache was an issue. Anyhoo...)

Thanks so much for saving me the effort of rebuilding things.

Cool, glad I could help :-)