Forums

Urgent: HELP. No matter what consoles and processes I kill, they come back

In tarpit and using more than 100 CPU secs/hr and I can't close it....

WUT?

Thank You to whoever fixed it, how do I stop that on my own in the future so I can use all my CPU seconds productively every day?

(This isn't the first time this has occurred, but it is the first that didn't resolve itself)

I apologize for my panic.

As soon as I tired to run my script again, it came back, it just boot loops in the initialization phase, eating up CPU secs w/o ever getting to the code....

help would be much appreciated, I'm throwing in the towel for the day.

Temporarily fixed by opening two bash consoles so when it restarted itself it there wasn't another console available to my account

Would really like a more permanent solution though.

Thank you for all that you do!

That sounds weird. Do you have a custom console with some code running at startup?

I do not, that's what was so strange about it, It seemed that way, but I only have the one script and the one once-daily task, and this happened hours after that task ran. It seems to have resolved itself, but I'm uneasy having not found a solution. I'll bring it to your attention if it happens again.

I'm still not entirely clear on what is happening. What do you mean by "boot loops" in your 3rd post? Also, how are you trying to kill the things that you claim are returning?

By 'boot loops' I mean that my Python script will begin to launch, saying that it's loading in various things, throwing in a joking line, then something about loading the actual python version I'm using, and instead of then beginning to run my code, it says 'restarting' or 'console closed' then starts that process all over again.

To kill the processes I go to the 'Consoles' page, I click the 'x' next to any active consoles, then below that I click 'show all processes' and once it has loaded, I click the 'x's beside each of them, many of them appearing to be subtasks of the python console that continues to start up, then restart itself, either before it begins to actually run the code, or some time before it finishes printing it's startup debug lines, because I closed the console, but whether it stops itself before the code runs, or I manually stop it from the 'consoles' page, it restarts from the beginning, regardless of how many times I 'x' out the console.

Are you waiting for the console to be gone when you're clicking the x in the consoles list. If you're clicking on something else before the console has been killed, then you're interrupting the request that actually does the closing of the console- the same applies with the kill buttons in the process list.

That could definitely be the problem, Thank you!