Forums

Using NCO (NETcdf operator) software with PythonAnywhere

NCO utilities (http://nco.sourceforge.net/) are a range of tools for handing datasets in NETcdf format.

many of the datasets are enormous ie too large to be loaded into python for manipulation. and the NCO tools are also much faster than doing the same tasks in python.

from the command line in linux you can slice and extract small portions of large online datasets

these command line instructions can be called from within your python code by running a shell script. in this way efficient handing of large datasets within python is accomplished.

it requires, however, that the NCO tools are installed on your machine . is that possible with PythonAnywhere?

to be clear NCO tools are stand alone utilities called from the command line in Linux and NOT a python library (as far as i understand)

Unfortunately I don't think so -- I was thinking that it could potentially be compiled from source, but looking at their list of dependencies, there are some that we don't have installed right now. I've added it as a suggestion for our next system image.