Forums

Want python 3.9 for my virtualenv

How can i enable python 3.9 for my virtual env?

is there a way to install it locally?

We don't support Python 3.9 yet -- it will be installed in our next system image, which we hope to deploy by the end of the year.

[edit] Just to add to that -- there's no way to install it just for your account, no.

Are there any updates regarding python3.9 support?

We currently have a new system image in the works! So hopefully soon :)

How do I deploy my website then because I used python 3.9.1 and flask 1.1.2 and werkzeug 1.0.1 to build it. Does that mean I need to wait till the end of the year to deploy my web app?

It has to wait a few weeks unless you can run it with python 3.8.

@wrtnspknbrkn Perhaps you've already realized this, but the "end of the year" statement was made in October 2020. So a little behind what they hoped, but not too far off. I'm currently developing in Python 3.9 so looking forward to that new image. :)

It took longer than we expected, as the system image upgrade has more features than just a python upgrade.

Is the server for python version 3.9 not up yet? Is there anyway that allow me to host my python 3.9 flask web?

Python 3.9 is not available on PythonAnywhere yet.

haha yeah. I noticed that the post was made in 2020. I initially saw 2021.

Thank you! I'm expectant of the release!

Sure, we're working on it :)

Hey guys! Any news about python 3.9?

Also, I read today that Flask 2.0 was just released. Any plans on updating the current version to 2.0?

Still hard at work on it! The new system image will upgrade the underlying operating system as well as Python 3.9, so it's requiring some pretty heavy testing before we release it.

Thanks for the heads-up on Flask 2.0, by the way -- we'll need to decide whether to add that for this image, or whether that should wait until the next one. (Because people can always upgrade Python packages easily, having slightly older versions of them isn't as big an issue as having older versions of Python itself.)

I understand you guys are hard at work at 3.9, and updating an entire system image is no easy feat. Would you be able to provide an ETA on any version? Maybe even a beta? I'm in a bit of a pickle because I am working on an architecture best supported by 3.9 locally, and i should have looked before I leapt, but now porting it back to 3.8 is a bit of a headache. Anyways, any update on timeline would be awesome! Thanks!

hi there, we don't have a definite timeline yet, but it is currently something we are actively working on.

i have installed python3.5 in my virtualenv .hw can i upgrade to latest

@sekhar1995 -- what do you mean by "latest": Python version? system image? There are mutliple versions of Python installed, you need to specify which version you want to use for your venv. If you want to upgrade the system image, see: https://help.pythonanywhere.com/pages/ChangingSystemImage/

hey guys! have fun :) python 3.9 is not ready yet?)

@Egor226 What do you mean? It's there in glastonbury system image. See: https://help.pythonanywhere.com/pages/ChangingSystemImage/