Forums

Upgrade to Python 3.8 (bash)

Hello how I can upgrade to Python 3.8? thanks

Your account already has Python 3.8 in Bash. Just use it: python3.8

@glenn Pardon me for hi-jacking this thread a little... but I only see options for up to python 3.5 available in the buttons on my dashboard. When I type python3 from the bash console, I get python 3.4.3... and when I type python3.8 at the command line, I get this:

20:42 ~ $ python3.8
bash: python3.8: command not found
20:42 ~ $

Is there something wrong with my account? Or do I just have a very old ('classic') system image? How do I get that updated?

@memilanuk Yes, you are on old image.

We can upgrade it for you but one word of warning first -- because changing the system image upgrades a lot of the pre-installed Python packages, any code that you have that relies on those packages might break if it's not compatible with the new versions. Also, because the new image has newer versions of Python, if you have any virtualenvs, you may need to rebuild them. If you're happy to go ahead despite that, just let us know and we'll switch you over.

Ah. Good to know.

I recently started mucking about with my account again... been dormant for a long while... went thru and cleaned out all the extraneous 'cruft' from before, basically wiped the home directory and started fresh. So nothing to lose or mess up. I'll be in touch.

I see you are in email contact with support.

I need to use Python 3.7, what should I do?

We can update your system image for you but one word of warning first -- because changing the system image upgrades a lot of the pre-installed Python packages, any code that you have that relies on those packages might break if it's not compatible with the new versions. Also, because the new image has newer versions of Python, if you have any virtualenvs, you may need to rebuild them. If you're happy to go ahead despite that, just let us know and we'll switch you over.

Hi Glenn,

Can you upgrade my account to Python 3.8 as well? I also sent an email to support :-)

Thanks, Martin

Hi Martin -- no problem, that's done now. Any new consoles you start will have the new system image; any scheduled/always-on tasks and websites will pick it up the next time they're (re)started.

Awesome, thanks a bunch!

Glad to help :-)

I need to use python3.7 in my project ,what should i do?

Your account already has Python 3.7 available. Just use it either by starting a Python 3.7 console, selecting it in the web app configuration page or using python3.7 in a Bash console.

Please update my account to version 3.8)

Thanks a lot

Your account already has Python 3.7 available. Just use it either by starting a Python 3.7 console, selecting it in the web app configuration page or using python3.7 in a Bash console.

Yes, thank you. For some reason, I didn’t even try using python3.8; I just tried python3

I hope it works for you now.

Please upgrade my account to python 3.8

Your account already has Python 3.8 available. Just use it either by starting a Python 3.8 console, selecting it in the web app configuration page or using python3.8 in a Bash console.

I emptied my home-directory, so no issues with the upgrade - I know sometimes things break when upgrading. Not in my case. Please upgrade my system image to Python 3.8. Many thanks in advance, jeroene

okay, we've switched you over

Thanks for the super fast response!

Can anyone help me, im trying to run my programm on bash console and it sends ImportError: No module named schedule. What can i do? Also why is it running pythons version 2.7.12. Can i upgrade it somehow?

When you run a program in Bash, you should use the command for the version of the Python interpreter that you want to use -- for example, to run the script myscript.py with Python 3.7, run python3.7 myscript.py.

Regarding the import error, is the schedule module one of your own, or some third-party package that your code depends on that you would normally install using pip? If it's the latter, this help page explains how to install new modules.

Ok, with writing python3.7 it works fine but.. now it says ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'telebot', but i installed pytelegrambotapi. What can i do, because i tried to find solutions on the Internet but nothing. thanks in advance, rich

How did you install pytelegrambotapi?

By using $pip3.7 install --user pytelegrambotapi, isnt it right? Checked again, and now it says ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'schedule'. Ive looked up the tutorials, and ive done everything that is said in it. So im really confused what am i doing wrong.

Which schedule module are you trying to use? It's likely to be something you need to install.

its python's library

I'm not aware of a built-in Python module called schedule, though there is one called sched. There is also a module called schedule that you can pip install.

Im using the last one, so should i just pip install --user schedule in bash console?

Yes, assuming that you are not using a virtualenv. If you're using a virtualenv, then activate it first and just pip install schedule

please upgrade my account to 3.8

We can update your system image for you but one word of warning first -- because changing the system image upgrades a lot of the pre-installed Python packages, any code that you have that relies on those packages might break if it's not compatible with the new versions. Also, because the new image has newer versions of Python, if you have any virtualenvs, you may need to rebuild them. If you're happy to go ahead despite that, just let us know and we'll switch you over.

upgrade my account to python 3.8 plz

Hello, please upgrade my account to 3.8 as well. Thank you

No problem, @forexlens. I have updated your system image.

@pankajreddy Your account already has python3.8. Just use python3.8 command.

Can you upgrade my account to 3.8 as well?

@kremerconsulting It's done for you

Could you please upgrade my account as well to python3.8?

Hello, could you guys please upgrade my account to python3.8 as well? I need it for some projects I'm building. Thanks!

@grihasthi -- Your account already has Python 3.8 available. Just use it either by starting a Python 3.8 console, selecting it in the web app configuration page or using python3.8 in a Bash console.

@edram23 -- sure, no problem -- I've updated your system image. Any new consoles you start will use it; websites and scheduled tasks will pick it up next time they are restarted,

Please upgrade my system image to Python3.8. Thank you.

Sure, no problem -- I've updated your system image. Any new consoles you start will use it; websites and scheduled tasks will pick it up next time they are restarted,

No problem. I have updated your system image.

please update my account python 3.8

Sure, no problem -- I've updated your system image. Any new consoles you start will use it; websites and scheduled tasks will pick it up next time they are restarted.

plz upgared my python

@adminas Your account already has python3.8. Just use python3.8 command.

Can I have python 3.8 too, please?

Sure, no problem -- I've updated your system image. Any new consoles you start will use it; websites and scheduled tasks will pick it up next time they are restarted.

It would be very helpful to get python 3.6 and 3.8 if it's not too much work. I'm tinkering around with my config to see what works.

Thanks guys!

please upgrade my account/system image to Python 3.8, having a lot of dependency issues with my Django app written in 3.8, thanks!

Your account is already using the most recent system image, so Python 3.8 is already available to you.

When I want to use django 3.0.3 I got the error" python 2.7 of its life january 2020.please upgrade the python 2.7" How can I upgrade it to 3.8 ?

Use python3.8 command , not just python.

Hi Glenn, Please can you also upgrade my account to Python 3.8 as well? What do i need to do to get this done? Thanks

Your account already has Python 3.8 available. Just use it either by starting a Python 3.8 console, selecting it in the web app configuration page or using the python3.8 command in a Bash console.

can you please upgrade my bash to python 3.8

Your account already has Python 3.8 available. Just use it either by starting a Python 3.8 console, selecting it in the web app configuration page or using the python3.8 command in a Bash console.

Hi, please Upgrade my bash to python 3.8

please upgrade my bash to 3.8 I couldnt install requests because of python 2.7 and in this time I can run python 3.8 but when installing from pip Ive got decline because of python2.7

Your account already has Python 3.8. You just need to use it: python3.8, pip3.8 etc.

Please upgrade me at Python 3.8. Pip3.8 and python3.8 doesn't work in bash console.

Your account already has Python 3.8. You just need to use it: python3.8, pip3.8 etc.

Please upgrade my account from Python 2.7 to python 3.8. Thank you in advance

You are already on the latest system image.

Hi, i need to update pythom to version 3.8)

You are already on the latest system image- what makes you think you don't have access to it?

Hi, i need to update pythom to version 3.8

My account is running on python2.7...I need an upgrade to 3.6 please

There are multiple versions of Python installed; if you run "python3.8", you'll get Python 3.8, if you run "python3.7", you'll get 3.7, and so on. They all have their own associated versions of pip installed, eg. "pip3.8". The commands "python" and "pip" are aliased to "python2.7" and "pip2.7" respectively, because unfortunately that's what Ubuntu requires to run.

Hi, can you update my account to 3.7 please.... thanks :!!!!

hi can you update my account to python3.7 please thanks!!!!

@rbaron and @deepak123pandey, both of your accounts already have it. See the previous post by @pafk.

hello, can you please upgrade my account to python3.8

ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement requirements.txt ( from versions: none) ERROR: No matching distribution found for requirements.txt

this error is showing to me what should i do.

You need a -r in before requirements.txt in the command you're running.

Hello, can you upgrade my system image to have 3.8;be the default in bash?

I’m aware of the upgrade issues involved. Heck, if I can deal with wearing a face mask I can deal with that, too.

Hello, can you upgrade my system image to have 3.8;be the default in bash?

I’m aware of the upgrade issues involved. Heck, if I can deal with wearing a face mask I can deal with that, too.

hi there, it seems you are already on our latest system image. However, I've updated it so that python3 in bash consoles now run python3.8, and your default save and run from the file editor will also run python3.8.

You are already on the most recent system image which has Python 3.8 among others. If you run "python3.8", you'll get Python 3.8, if you run "python3.7", you'll get 3.7, and so on. They all have their own associated versions of pip installed, eg. "pip3.8". The commands "python" and "pip" are aliased to "python2.7" and "pip2.7" respectively, because unfortunately that's what Ubuntu requires to run.

Hi! We.. I have the same problem.. I need my account to be on 3.8 to run my django project. Can you update my account? Best regards//Kent

You are already on the most recent system image which has Python 3.8 among others (see the answer above). You need to specify the python version when you create your web app.

bozoncheg, it's done for you

[edited by admin: code formatting]

08:24 ~ $ python --version
Python 2.7.12

please, upgrade for me too. (Bash)

You are already on the most recent system image with Python 3.8 installed. To use specific python (and pip respectively) in the console, you need to invoke it explicitly, e.g. python3.8. You may as well create a virtual environment for specific Python version. Then, after activating it, python will default to the version you created the venv with.

Hello, can you provide steps to upgrade the python version to python 3 instead of 2; or you can upgrade it for me plz.

@ahmedAbdeletti You are already on the most recent system image with Python 3.8 installed. To use specific python (and pip respectively) in the console, you need to invoke it explicitly, e.g. python3.8. You may as well create a virtual environment for specific Python version. Then, after activating it, python will default to the version you created the venv with.

You are already on the most recent system image which has Python 3.8 among others. If you run "python3.8", you'll get Python 3.8, if you run "python3.7", you'll get 3.7, and so on. They all have their own associated versions of pip installed, eg. "pip3.8". The commands "python" and "pip" are aliased to "python2.7" and "pip2.7" respectively, because unfortunately that's what Ubuntu requires to run.

Please upgrade my account to python 3.8. Thank you!

Can someone upgrade my bash console version into a 3.8 since I want to make a django website and I need a version 3.8 for the virtual enviorment?

sorry about the double post

Hi, you should already be on 3.8 for your current account. If you tried running python from the console- try using python3 or python3.8 instead.

The website is very much slow.

Which website? PythonAnywhere itself? Or a website that you are running on PythonAnywhere?

Hello, please upgrade my account to python 3.8. Thank you very much.

Hello Good day , i would like to start using python38 in my bash ...how do i go about it?

Run python3.8 in a Bash console to run Python 3.8

okay thank you !

please could you upgrade my bush to python 3.7.7

@yrysbek 3.7.5 is the newest version of python 3.7 available on PythonAnywhere at the moment.

Hello! Please update my system to the latest version

Why is it constantly writing to me in Bash that I have version Python 2.7, but I have the LATEST VERSION installed? !!!

There are multiple versions of Python installed; if you run "python3.8", you'll get Python 3.8, if you run "python3.7", you'll get 3.7, and so on. They all have their own associated versions of pip installed, eg. "pip3.8". The commands "python" and "pip" are aliased to "python2.7" and "pip2.7" respectively, because unfortunately that's what Ubuntu requires to run.

Hello I need some help . Bash is writing everything in python2.7. How can I get it to run in 3.8?

How are you running your code from Bash?

When I setup my Virtual environment In Bash I request python 3.8, but it still default python to 2.7.12. It's incompatible with my web app. Can you upgrade it to 3.8?

What command do you use to create a virtual environment?

Hi. Could you upgrade my system to the latest version? Thank you! (Also, how would I know when it is upgraded?)

Could u upgrade my python to ver 3.8, please?

Could u upgrade my python to ver 3.8, please?

when i tried to load my python script with python3.8 this error message apears, can you change it for me pls ?

python3.8 File "<stdin>", line 1 python3.8 ^ SyntaxError: invalid syntax

is the first line of your file "python3.8"? If so that is incorrect.

please could you upgrade my bush to python 3.8? I would like to install a package via pip which is not available in python2.7

Your account already has it. You just need to use it with python3.8 and pip38

Hi Glenn,

Please upgrade my image to latest python3 version. I understand the risk of newer python modules etc.

Thanks.

hi can you update my account to 3.8 aswell? thanks

Hello, could you upgrade me to 3.8 also?

@mchant It's done for you.

I'd love to be upgraded to the more recent Python version if possible with my account, I understand the risks with breakage of existing things and I'm totally fine with that!

@janis It's done for you.

Hey please upgrade my account to Python3 as well, it will be a great help, Thank You!

Your account is on the most recent system image and your default Python versions are 3.8. Mind that when you use bare python (or -- respectively -- pip) in a Bash console it will default to Python 2.7 since it is the default Python on Ubuntu we're currently running.

Hey please upgrade my account to Python3 as well, Thank You

Your account already has Python 3.8. You just need to use it with python3.8

Can you upgrade my account to 3.8 please?

@jich24 Your account already has Python 3.8. You just need to use it with python3.8 command

hi, how could I upgrade to python3.8 or 3.9?

No problem. I have updated your system image, so Python 3.8 will be available.

please I need to update python to it's latest version it shows for me: Python 2.7.12 Thank you so much

Hi, @roaasoloh. You're on the latest system image so you can use Python 3.8. There are multiple versions of Python installed; if you run "python3.8", you'll get Python 3.8, if you run "python3.7", you'll get 3.7, and so on. They all have their own associated versions of pip installed, eg. "pip3.8". The commands "python" and "pip" are aliased to "python2.7" and "pip2.7" respectively, because unfortunately that's what Ubuntu requires to run.

Please upgrade my account from python 2.7.12 to python 3.8.5

You're on the latest system image so you can use Python 3.8. There are multiple versions of Python installed; if you run "python3.8", you'll get Python 3.8, if you run "python3.7", you'll get 3.7, and so on. They all have their own associated versions of pip installed, eg. "pip3.8". The commands "python" and "pip" are aliased to "python2.7" and "pip2.7" respectively, because unfortunately that's what Ubuntu requires to run.

Please upgrade my account from python 2.7.12 to python 3.8.5

Hi, @nikitas1, you are already on the lates system image having access to Python 3.8.0. There are multiple versions of Python installed; if you run "python3.8", you'll get Python 3.8, if you run "python3.7", you'll get 3.7, and so on. They all have their own associated versions of pip installed, eg. "pip3.8". The commands "python" and "pip" are aliased to "python2.7" and "pip2.7" respectively, because unfortunately that's what Ubuntu requires to run.

I specified python3. 6 at the time of creating virtual environment but it automatically took python2. 7 Now i am having error no module named PIL. Plz help me upgrade my python version...

You are on the newest system image, so you have python3.7 and 3.8. How did you create your venv? What command did you use? How do you use it? How do you run your code?

Could I have my account upgraded to python3.8 as well please. I need it for my project.

I just want you to upgrade my python version to 3.6 Please help me...

If you run python3.6, then you will get Python 3.6. It is already available for your account.

Hello, Sir, I want to upgrade my account to python3.8. Please help. Regards.

Hello, Sir, I want to upgrade my account to python3.8. Please help.

If you run python3.8, then you will get Python 3.8. It is already available for your account.

Hello, I would like to update my account to python3.8.

hi there- your system image already has python3.8. Is there anything you are trying to do where you are not getting python3.8?

please upgrade my account tp python3.8

thank you, I appreciate it.

If you run python3.8, then you will get Python 3.8. It is already available for your account.

Please could I have python3.8 made available for my account. I currently get the message "python3.8: command not found" Thank you.

Sure -- we can update your system image for you but one word of warning first -- because changing the system image upgrades a lot of the pre-installed Python packages, any code that you have that relies on those packages might break if it's not compatible with the new versions. Also, because the new image has newer versions of Python, if you have any virtualenvs, you may need to rebuild them. If you're happy to go ahead despite that, just let us know and we'll switch you over.

Please could Python 3.8 be made available but not made the default. We would like to have the option for a new project to use Python 3.8, thanks.

Sure, we can certainly do that -- but the risks I mentioned in my last post would still apply. Right now, you have an account where Python 3.6 is 3.6.0, but if we change your system image, it will be upgraded to 3.6.9, which may break existing virtualenvs. Likewise, all of the pre-installed packages will be upgraded. So if you're OK with that, we can update the system image.

Hi can I please have my account's image updated to use 3.8 as well? Thanks.

I see that you asked for that update over email as well, and one of my colleagues has already update your system image.

Could you please update my account's image with python 3.8? Thanks.

can you update my python 3.8.0

@dxus1228 3.8.0 is the newest python on PythonAnywhere at the moment.

Please upgrade my python to 3.8.

@MenWhoLoveCode @hrishikeshrt If you run python3.8, then you will get Python 3.8. It is already available for your account.

Thank you @fjl

My default bash console still starts python3.6.9 if I do "python3", and "pip3" installs for python3.6. I was hoping to get that changed so that it defaults to python3.8 and pip3.8

@hrishikeshrt I made python 3.8 a default python3 for you. Open a new console and see.

please install python3.8 also on my account

Sure -- we can update your system image for you, but one word of warning first -- because changing the system image upgrades a lot of the pre-installed Python packages, any code that you have that relies on those packages might break if it's not compatible with the new versions. Also, because the new image has newer versions of Python, if you have any virtualenvs, you may need to rebuild them. If you're happy to go ahead despite that, just let us know and we'll switch you over.

please install python3.7 also on my account as well

Your account already has the most recent system image, so it already has Python 3.7 available. If you run python3.7, then you will get Python 3.7.

Just a note to say that you no longer need to ask to have your system image changed -- you can change it yourself from the "Account" page. There's more information on this help page.

hi, I need python 3.7 on my bash console please can you help

Hi, there are multiple versions of Python installed; if you run "python3.8", you'll get Python 3.8, if you run "python3.7", you'll get 3.7, and so on. They all have their own associated versions of pip installed, eg. "pip3.8". The commands "python" and "pip" are aliased to "python2.7" and "pip2.7" respectively, because unfortunately that's what Ubuntu requires to run.

please install python3.8 also on my account. Thank you

Hi, @piranadus132 -- you're already on the most recent system image which has Python 3.8. Please read the post directly above yours.

Please update my python to 3.8.. thanks

Your account already has the most recent system image, so it already has Python 3.8 available. If you run python3.8, then you will get Python 3.8.

please install Bash python3.8 also on my account. Thank you

please install Bash python3.8 also on my account. Thank you

@Gogen Your account already has the most recent system image, so it already has Python 3.8 available. If you run python3.8, then you will get Python 3.8.

Hello, please upgrade my account to python 3.8

See this for how to change your system image. However, your account already has the most recent system image, so it already has Python 3.8 available. If you run python3.8, then you will get Python 3.8.

Hello! Can somebody upgrate my account to python 3.8 ? this is what I get when I try to install some packages "DEPRECATION: Python 2.7 reached the end of its life on January 1st, 2020. Please upgrade your Python as Python 2.7 is no longer maintained. pip 21.0 will drop support for Python 2.7 in January 2021. More details about Python 2 support in pip can be found at https://pip.pypa.io/en/latest/developm ent/release-process/#python-2-support pip 21.0 will remove support for this functionality."

To install packages, you should use the version of pip related to the version of Python that you want to install for -- for example, pip3.8 for Python 3.8. pip on its own is an alias to pip2.7, as unfortunately the operating system requires that. See this help page for more information.

Hello, please upgrade my account to python 3.8

It looks like you've already discovered this, but you can get it by upgrading to the most recent system image on the account page.

Hello, Could you upgrade my python to version 3.8, please?

@pythonbrad You no longer need to ask to have your system image changed -- you can change it yourself from the "Account" page. There's more information on this help page: https://help.pythonanywhere.com/pages/ChangingSystemImage

Hi! When I write in my Bash console python -V says: Python 2.7.12. Please install Bash python3.8 in my account, I already changed "system image". Thank you!

Hi @martinezga -- there are multiple versions of Python installed; if you run "python3.8", you'll get Python 3.8, if you run "python3.7", you'll get 3.7, and so on. They all have their own associated versions of pip installed, eg. "pip3.8". The commands "python" and "pip" are aliased to "python2.7" and "pip2.7" respectively, because unfortunately that's what Ubuntu requires to run.

Kindly update my account to version 3.8

Thanks .

Hi @softbyte -- you can get Python 3.8 by changing your system image to the most recent one: https://help.pythonanywhere.com/pages/ChangingSystemImage/.

can you please update my account to 3.8 , thanks for your time <3 , it will really help me.

@bory -- you already have Python 3.8, just use python3.8 or pip3.8 (for installing packages).

Could you please upgrade my account as well to python3.8?

@dimonchick you already have Python 3.8, just use python3.8 or pip3.8 (for installing packages).

Hi, could you please upgrade me with python 3.8?

@breadkakoyto -- you already have Python 3.8, just use python3.8 or pip3.8 (for installing packages).

hi, could you please upgrade me with python 3.9?

We don't have Python 3.9 yet -- it will be available on the next system image.

oh ok so could you please upgrade me with python 3.8?

You already have Python 3.8 -- it's been explained in this thread multiple times; just use python3.8 or pip3.8.

Hi could you upgrade my account with python 3.8 as well (or 3.9 if it's available).

Also, is it possible to upgrade my vim as well?

To use Python 3.8 you need to upgrade your system image to the most recent one (Python 3.9 will be available in the upcoming system image): https://help.pythonanywhere.com/pages/ChangingSystemImage/. fishnchips system image (the current) has vim 8.1.

Hello, please upgrade my account to 3.9 as well. Thank you

We don't support 3.9 at the moment; a new system image supporting it is currently going through final tests, and should be released soon.

If you can make do with 3.8 in the meantime, you can get that by upgrading your system image to "fishnchips" using the instructions on this help page.

Hello, please upgrade my account to 3.6 as well

@dp189 you can use Python 3.6 already -- you need to use python3.6 (and pip3.6 respectively) command.

Hello, can you upgrade to 3.8? Thanks in advance

You can use Python 3.8 already -- you need to use the python3.8 and pip3.8 commands.

Hello. Can you help upgrade your account to version 3.8?

You can use Python 3.8 already -- you need to use the python3.8 and pip3.8 commands.

Hello. Can you help upgrade your account to version 3.8?

@KrissSweets Your account already supports Python 3.8 (just use python3.8). If you want to have more control over python command, you'd need to upgrade your system image, see: https://help.pythonanywhere.com/pages/ChangingSystemImage/. See also this blog post: https://blog.pythonanywhere.com/196/.

I just solve.

Please upgrade me too

@nikitamalakhov You already have access to Python 3.8.

Hi, can you upgrade my account to python3.8? Thanks!

It is already available for your account. You can change your default python versions from the "System image" tab on your account page.

hi there, can you upgrade my account to python 3.8 as well? Thanks a million.

It is already available in your account.

plz upgrade my account to python version 3.10

That is not available on PythonAnywhere yet.

Hi, could I have Python 3.8 please? Thanks!

Hi, could I have Python 3.8 please? Thanks!

Here you go: https://help.pythonanywhere.com/pages/ChangingSystemImage/

upgrade my account to python 3.8 plz

You're already on the most recent system image, that supports Python up to 3.10.

please upgrade my account to Python 3.8. Thank you, I have access to Python versions up to 3.10

It looks like your account has access to Python versions 3.6, 3.7, 3.8, 3.9 and 3.10 already.

please upgrade my account to Python 3.8. Thank you

See https://help.pythonanywhere.com/pages/ChangingSystemImage/

Can I have python3.11 please?

It will be released with the new system image, which we're working on (no ETA, though).

@Claustrofob See https://help.pythonanywhere.com/pages/ChangingSystemImage/

I've deleted my previous comment as I wanted to upgrade my python version. Then I found a way and upgraded it by my own. Thanks for the guideline.

OK, glad to hear you worked it out!