Forums

Tracking Emails

Hey,

Just wondering how the initiated my go about tracking emails for sorting replies in a CRM. For clarity, I have built a CRM for work and I'd like to send emails from it - although I've not added this yet I don't see it being an issue - I would like to track the replies to allow me to display them correctly in the CRM.

I have read about people inserting a unique id in the subject line but this feels a little robotic / impersonal for the recipient and I think there must be a better way?

Would love to hear some advice/thoughts on this.

If you have them click on a confirmation link, you could just generate a unique token and put it in the link for each email you send out.

Otherwise you could also embed an image that queries your web server to do a read receipt sort of thing.

Hey Conrad,

Thanks for responding.

How would that work in terms of tracking the reply? I'm not really interested in read rates or anything like that.

Just to clarify, you are going to be reading from an email server all the responses from all the emails sent out, and you would like to separate them back out into by different email addresses/threads?

Are you trying to group all the email correspondence with a particular email address into a single group? Or are you trying to keep track of "conversations"?

Hey Conrad,

Yea so, to be more specific, the emails will be associated with a website, so say pythonanywhere.com was in the system I would click 'Sent Email' and then compose and send you an email, I would want your response to come back into the pythonanywhere.com email section.

Hope that makes sense?

Just like grouped email in Outlook.

hmm. I think that is just done by matching [subject + email address]? (so no need to do any id'ing stuff)