Forums

Could have mentioned the limitations before! Cannot start video capturing and speech recognition on pythonanywhere

I have run my code fine on localhost, which can easily start video capturing using few lines of code, But, the same code is unable to start the video capturing when hosted in pythonanywhere platform saying "CAN'T FIND CAMERA DEVICE". I have even bought a "Web Dev" account for the same. Some of your forums answer saying that you do not support any hardware access!. This must be mentioned before a customer makes any purchase!. Kindly help me out for the issue. By the way, i am trying to use video capturing using django web app through python's cv2 module , speech recognition through Speech_recognition module. If possible, please give me some alternative to do the same or give my three months billed amount back!!

Like our front page says, code that you run on PythonAnywhere runs on our servers. This means that it cannot access cameras or sound cards on your own computer directly. It could allow access to cameras and sound cards on those servers if they had them, but of course they don't.

The only way to access the camera on your own computer is via code running on your own computer. The normal way that a server-based program would do that is to provide a web page for you to visit, which would include JavaScript code to run in the browser which would request access to the camera and sound hardware. The API for that is called WebRTC.

Thanks for the info. But, I cannot host my website now using pythonanywhere, because of this issue. How do you resolve this problem, after me having paid for the web dev account? Will i get my money back? Since, this is an issue from your side, and was not mentioned in the details before buying this. Can you please help me with this?

The limitations Giles mentioned applies to any cloud hosting provider. ie. you would not be able to use a cloud server and run a camera from that server- you would have to run the camera from your browser and stream the feed to your cloud server.

If you want a refund, you can email us and we will issue you a refund.

Sure. Thanks. May i know the mail id where i should mail my concern.

Sure, It's support@pythonanywhere.com