Forums

Bash console problems

Bash console hung during the night and took several minutes to kill just now. I'm trying to start another one, but no luck yet after several minutes.

Console 1025760: " Starting encrypted connection to consoles-2.pythonanywhere.com on port 443".

Jim

Can't create new Bash consoles:

Something went wrong :-(

This website is hosted by PythonAnywhere, an online hosting environment. Something went wrong while trying to load it; please try again later.

If this is your PythonAnywhere-hosted site, the problem is likely to be that it's taking several minutes to respond when requests come in, at least for this particular URL. Check your site's server and error logs for any messages — you can view them from the Web tab inside PythonAnywhere.

If there's nothing in the logs, and you're sure your site is OK, and there's no reason it would be taking a long time to respond, then it might be a problem on our side. Drop us a line at support@pythonanywhere.com, in the forums, or using the "Send feedback" link on the site, quoting the error code below.

Error code: 504-loadbalancer

Also MySQL consoles ;---(

Hey guys- apologies for the downtime. I just got live console 2 back up again. Everything should be working on the consoles end. Let me know if there are still any problems.

In the future, one potential hack you could try in the interim (since live console 1 and 3 servers were still up) is just to kill the current console and try to start a new one that is not served by the console 2 server. (you randomly get assigned to the 3 consoles)

@conrad Many thanks - I seem to be back in business.

Thanks for confirming! We'll be looking into our monitoring in depth today -- we should have been automatically alerted about this outage, and likewise for an outage on a web server yesterday. Something is obviously not working in the monitoring system.

Oh, and a +1 to Conrad's suggestion above. A little more detail:

Normally if a console server is out, we detect it and reboot it, generally automatically. If that doesn't happen, but we've been alerted, then we can manually take it out of rotation while we investigate. Under either of those circumstances, just refreshing the console page should fix things. (In the latter case, your console will be randomly assigned to a working console server, in the former case the console server should be back almost instantly after the reboot, so it should just work.)

If refreshing the console's page doesn't work, then it's likely to be a sign that (a) the console server is not working and (b) we've not been able to take it out of rotation, perhaps because we've not been alerted. So under those circumstances, if you start another console it will be randomly assigned to a server and it's likely to work; there's a 1 in n chance that you'll wind up back on the broken one (n being the number of console servers we currently have in place for your account type) but n is normally at least 3, so there's at least a 66% chance a new one will work. If it doesn't try again, and you should get a working one fairly quickly.

@giles

Many thanks, I'll try that if/when! Jim