Forums

Install ffmpeg and dependencies

i compiled a version of ffmpeg on my local machine (ubuntu 14.04 64bit) and i'd like to deploy it for use in my pythonanywhere app. i used 'make install' to install the libraries and ffmpeg locally. now i need advice on how to install it on my site. i don't really want to recompile if i don't have to.

thanks! clyde

At the moment, we don't have it installed for everyone. I have raised a ticket to install it, but we can give no estimates on when it will be available -- it depends heavily on how it interacts with the other packages we have installed.

As to re-compiling - unless you know exactly all the files that the compile generates, you'll just have to re-compile it. Note that, on PythonAnywhere, you'll have to change the destination directory because it's likely to try to install stuff to the global file system which you don't have permissions for.

i just figured i would upload the ffmpeg binary and the libs i know about and then keep trying to run ffmpeg, adding everything it says it's missing until it worked. i think that would be faster than recompiling. where do i put files that belong in /usr/bin and usr/local/lib?

Google standalone and FFMpeg, all you need is one file.

i was under the impression that ffmpeg binaries couldn't be supplied with several libraries for licensing reasons, but i will definitely look at this!

hmm. this looks interesting: http://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/

Just in case it's not obvious, you can put binaries and libraries anywhere you want, and then you need to add the location of the binaries to the PATH environment variable, and the libraries to LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

thanks! i figured as much but was not completely certain.

clyde

the site i posted above has a great build of ffmpeg-2.3.3. it truly is standalone. thanks for the suggestion @noiv

so now ffmpeg works from the bash shell. i can perform operations on my test video file and they succeed.

the python wrapper module i am using is moviepy and the path to ffmpeg is set in its config file as: FFMPEG_BINARY = r'/home/clydet/myapps/ffmpeg/ffmpeg'

the moviepy configuration test script succeeds in finding the ffmpeg binary but fails to open the test video file that i successfully manipulated in the bash shell.

could this be a permissions problem with the executable?

clyde

hmm. looking like a codec problem.

hi there! last post in this thread was a while ago, so nowadays: It's possible to install the ffmpeg and its dependencies? cheers

Sorry for the slow response! We have avconv installed, which (I think!) does all of the same stuff. Are you hitting specific problems trying to use it?