Forums

Install pyaudio

I want to install pyaudio. I am trying to install pyaudio from the bash console using pip3.6 install --user pyaudio but I am getting the following error

Command "/usr/local/bin/python3.6 -u -c "import setuptools, tokenize;__file__='/tmp/pip-install-hp6kx6ip/pyaudio/setup.py';f=getattr(tokenize, 'open ', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('\r\n', '\n');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, 'exec'))" install --record /tmp/pip-record-103ldw2t/install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --compile --user --prefix=" failed with error code 1 in /tmp/pip-install-hp6kx6ip/pyaudio/

As far as I understand it, PyAudio is a package for playing back and recording music from a computer's sound card, based on the PortAudio C package. The servers on PythonAnywhere don't have sound cards so we don't have PortAudio installed -- that's why PyAudio won't install.

Is there any update on this problem @giles? as in , is there any way to install PyAudio on pythonanywhere ?

hello, thats not possible. even if you install it, you can't record from users computers. so basicly, it's useless on pythonanywhere.

That's correct, @amirfj. @VirtualAssistant, there would be no point in getting PyAudio to work: The only sounds it would be able to capture would be the sounds of thousands of servers running in the data centre and, when it played them, they would be played in the data centre in Virginia.