Forums

trouble saving ipython notebook -- Request Entity Too Large at fault?

I have a jupyter notebook I'm working on.

It generates some .wav files/writes them to disk/plays them (using iPython.Display.Audio)

I noticed that I'm unable to save or checkpoint the file now. "Last Checkpoint: 17 hours ago Autosave Failed!"

the only clue I have is that next to the kernel indication, there is an orange box saying "Request Entity Too Large"

Am wondering if the .wav stuff is somehow screwing up the notebook and making it unsaveable.

Followup: I restart and clear all ouput -- i was able to save the file. I didn't not re-run any cells in the notebook. Very soon after, the "Request Entity Too Large" warning reappeared, as did teh "Autosave Failed" message -- but i had not read or written any .wav files.

I looked at developer tools console:

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 413 (Request Entity Too Large)

then below: API request failed (413): Request Entity Too Large [utils.js:623]

The actual notebook itself is only 9kb, too, by the way. Tiny.

I think you're right that it's related to the audio data. IPython notebooks try to store anything that you're printing out -- charts, audio, whatever -- and save it. The format they use is super-inefficient -- IIRC it's base64-encoded binary -- and so it's surprisingly easy to create a notebook that takes up loads of space. It looks like the one you were trying to save was a bit over 3MiB in size. Not sure why it happened in the case in your second post, though.

Anyway, I think the maximum notebook size was too low, so I've bumped it up to 100MiB -- that should mean that you can save your notebook going forward, at least until it gets 30 times bigger than it is :-)