Forums

Having trouble installing package from source

My intention is to get the Tableau SDK for python module in my 2.7 virtuaenv. Here is my sequence

wget https://downloads.tableau.com/tssoftware/Tableau-SDK-Python-Linux-64Bit-10-2-2.tar.gz
gunzip Tableau-SDK-Python-Linux-64Bit-10-2-2.tar.gz
tar -xvf Tableau-SDK-Python-Linux-64Bit-10-2-2.tar

This gives me a folder with the source files. I cd into the folder with the source files and run the commands:

python setup.py build
python setup.py install

Things seem to be working no errors and last lines read

running install_egg_info
Writing /home/PCBevo/.virtualenvs/fb27/lib/python2.7/site-packages/TableauSDK-10200.17.0505.1445-py2.7.egg-info

However when I try import python throws errors:

import tableausdk Traceback (most recent call last): File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module> File "/home/PCBevo/.virtualenvs/fb27/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/tableausdk/init.py", line 14, in <module> from .Types import * File "/home/PCBevo/.virtualenvs/fb27/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/tableausdk/Types.py", line 17, in <module> common_lib = libs.load_lib('Common') File "/home/PCBevo/.virtualenvs/fb27/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/tableausdk/Libs.py", line 36, in load_lib self.libs[lib_name] = ctypes.cdll.LoadLibrary(self.lib_paths[lib_name]) File "/usr/lib/python2.7/ctypes/init.py", line 443, in LoadLibrary return self._dlltype(name) File "/usr/lib/python2.7/ctypes/init.py", line 365, in init self._handle = _dlopen(self._name, mode) OSError: libpcre16.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

hi there- isn't tableau a data visualization tool? how would you run that on pythonanywhere? or are you crunching the data on pythonanywhere and then moving it back out afterwards?

Full disclosure- I'm a total Noob with using Python Anywhere and I thank you for your feedback on my thread. Yes- Tableau is a data visualization tool. The flow I have on my working on my laptop goes like

1> Data collection from web-sourced RESTful API 
2> Store collected data in SQLite
3> Tableau does not have a connector to SQLite so.... 
4> Use the tableausdk module to create TDE files, TDE is a super fast compact datasource for Tableau

Some of these runs take up to an hour long (mainly the data collection) So my hope is to create some sort of cron or scheduled task on P.A. to regularly do this processing. I suspect the issue for loading this module could be in the last line of the error...

OSError: libpcre16.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I searched for this error and found the thread http://tibiacommunity.com/linux-client-not-working-on-ubuntu-16-04-lts I think this solution requires a OS package. Am I allowed to install OS packages???

Hi there, unless you can figure out how to download and compile the libpcre16 library yourself (not impossible, but probably not beginner-friendly), then you'd have to wait and see if we get time to look at installing it ourselves during our next system image build. Really can't make any promises about that though, it could be months away...