Forums

TLS issue using Stripe in a web2py web app

I am getting occasional errors from Stripe when using it within a web2py app, complaining about using TLS1.0 instead of TLS1.2. I am not clear where in the stack this could be addressed: in my app-specific code, the modules it uses, or aspects of the server I have no direct control of, so obviously I do not know how to address it. Any pointers would be welcome.

(I do notice that the classic 2.7 image uses a version of the Stripe module that Stripe says needs to be upgraded, but as the web2py Stripe implementation does not use it as best I can tell, that does not seem to be the root of my problem.)

Interesting! I was about to post saying that it would be strange if web2py had its own Stripe code that didn't use Stripe's own code under the hood, then I found this code which shows that they actually are doing that exact strange thing.

If all of the code that's showing the error is in your web2py stuff, then I think the best bet is to ask on the web2py Google group. Maybe you "just" need to upgrade web2py?

BTW if you're using non-web2py code, then running "pip2.7 install --user --upgrade stripe" in a Bash console will make sure you're using the latest version.

The Stripe code included with web2py is outdated. Get the python Stripe library from strip.com. Their tutorials there are first rate.

Thanks for letting us know about the out-of-date web2py Stripe code -- that's important to know.