Forums

Text in editor now seem giant to others?

Did I mess up my system/browsers or did the text in the PA editor become gargantuan?

Looks OK here, although slightly bigger than I remember. I'm seeing about 36 lines of a source Python file if I go full-screen in Firefox.

Jim

I don't use the PA file editor much, but is it a different font that is taller?

@a2j Ditto, I normally edit 'here'. I don't think it's taller - it looks well proportioned to me.

The text on the editor is a little bigger. I wouldn't describe it as gargantuan, though. I get a little under 50 lines in the editor. What sort of size are you seeing, fomightez?

Okay, it sounds like it may just be my system then. Thanks.

On the off chance it isn't just me, more details follow in response to the kind folks who responded...

It was a very noticeable increase between the seventh and ninth. The text got very wide and a bit taller on my screen. Also the spacing between the individual lines on the editor increased. The effect has been much less screen real estate. It isn't just one browser either. I have tried three on my mac. But since I have been using several of them to do some css editing maybe a setting is staying resident. At least the forum text still looks the same. In fact, I recall the editor text and layout looking almost like the forum text looks.

@fomightez How many lines per page are you seeing now?

@fomightez it could be that the fonts installed on your machine don't include the ones that we specify, so it falls back to a generic font that is strangely sized or it could be that the new version specifies font size in a way that makes them bigger. Could you post a screenshot somewhere so I can try to identify the font?

Well my Mac is not that old (system says late 2012 and I bought it in 2013) and I didn't remove any fonts. (If anything, some got added to by items such as Adobe products.) So it would have to be quite rare font to not have it. It is all updated to Mavericks too.

I have posted screenshots at http://www.screencast.com/users/WayneUNH/folders/screenshots%20for%20PA%20editor.

'image of editor 11-10-13.png' is the one showing the PA editor. If you open the page, there is a link above the image with a link to'full size' to the left of the center.

My screen is set at 1680 X 1050 and is 22 inches. So it isn't a small display. It seems to me I generally had more show up on the screen than I see now. The spacing between the lines seems different as well the more I think about it. In fact, as I see the page open, first I see everything on one line for an instant, then it goes to what I used to see for an instant, and then the line spacing/text on the ace editor expands to give me fewer lines on the screen.

For contrast, I also posted an image of the forums with what seems to me more typical size and spaced text. Meaning, It seemed that view looked more like what the editor used to look like on my machine. That is the other image in that folder--> 'forums screenshot 11-10-13'

Same thing here - text in editor looks bigger than normal. This happened a few hours ago. I'm using an older mac though.

We'll be looking at ways to let people customise the font size in the editor. If you're really keen to fix it immediately, you could look into how to set up a custom stylesheet for your OS + browser? Feel free to post any results of your investigations here, I'm sure others would be interested.

In the meantime, one of the neat things we got from the editor upgrade is: autocomplete! try it -- the shortcut is ctrl+space...

Well I thought eventually a custom bookmarklet would be one easy solution so that I don't have to change several computers and browsers.

So as a start I tried using this bookmarklet to see what rule would need to be applied but I could never get it to work. For the record, I tried: 'id_editor.ace_editor.ace-tm.ace_nobold{font-size: 9pt}'

Either I cannot override it that way (perhaps because the font-size it is hard-coded into the style attribute and not done as a css) or my code was wrong.

However, while trying to figure things out for applying custom css some way, I found that in Chrome I could click on the text and then right-click and choose 'Inspect Element' and change the 'font-size' setting from 12pt to 9pt just by clicking on it where I pointed the big red arrow and changing it. It seems to fix most, if not all, of the issues I was experiencing. Additional good news is that it stays that way upon saving a new version of the code in the editor.

I uploaded an image indicating where the changes need to be made and how it looks changed.

They can be found here.

*Before.

*After.

Aside from the font-size and/or editor line spacing issue, I have been noticing nice improvements in the editor and its interface, such as the 'find' function. I'll have to try the auto-complete next time I am actually doing something.