Forums

Remotely access PA from PyCharm?

Is there any way to configure PyCharm so I can directly access my code in PA without having to save it and then upload it to PA? My goal is to take advantage of PyCharm's code highlighting and completion but run the code on PythonAnywhere.

If that isn't possible, do people use IDEs directly with PA? If so, which ones & how?

Thanks!

Ben

This plugin looks like it would work from a paid account -- it uploads files over SSH, which paid accounts support. I don't know of anyone who's using it, but if there's anyone in the forums then perhaps they could chime in.

An alternative that I know some people are using -- or, at least, were using recently -- is this Sublime Text plugin, which should work fine from any PythonAnywhere account, free or paid-for.

What's the PA team's favorite editors/IDEs for python dev?

Personally I use the editor we have on the file tab when coding on PythonAnywhere, and Sublime or vim on my desktop. Others in the team use vim both locally and on PythonAnywhere, so it probably tops the ranking across the team as a whole -- though they tend to use lots of vim plugins rather than just the bare editor.