Forums

How to check and calculate which folders size?

On the files tab I have information, that I already used 944 MB out of 1 GB. I want to clean my folders from trash, but can't understand which uses so much space. I run du -hs /home/ and it gave me only 112M. So where is all the other data, which takes all my space?

also check /tmp etc?

May I freely delete everything in /tmp and /var? Btw, found nethack in /var folder, love this game ))

yes for /tmp- although keep in mind that some of your own scripts might be using /tmp etc. for /var, I think only select folders under /var are user writeable.

:D

We too facing the similar issue. 694MB out of 1 GB used in /var/ folder. we don't know about this folder. also we don't know why this folder holds this much size.

It seems like we don't have access to these folders. Could you please help us to reduce the size of this folder.

15:08 /home $ du -hs /var/
du: cannot read directory '/var/spool/cron/crontabs': Permission denied du: cannot read directory '/var/cache/apt/archives/partial': Permission denied du: cannot read directory '/var/cache/ldconfig': Permission denied du: cannot read directory '/var/lib/postgresql/9.4/main': Permission denied du: cannot read directory '/var/lib/apt/lists/partial': Permission denied 694M /var/

/var is on it's own quota because it is where we store your log files. It does not count to the quota used where it's shown on the dashboard.