Forums

daily job run in the morning had a problem

I have a scheduled task that runs daily at 12:54 GMT (that's a few minutes before 8am local time). It sends an important daily email to all users. It runs for less than a minute.

It has run fine for weeks, but today I got this error:

/bin/bash: line 0: cd: /home/rcardenas: Stale NFS file handle
bash: /home/rcardenas/bin/job.sh: Stale NFS file handle

2013-08-21 12:54:03 -- Completed task, took 0.00 seconds, return code was 126.

The task did not complete; the emails were not sent. It appears to me that this was a very uncommon occurrence, not expected to happen again soon. But I thought I'd let PA know, in case you can find the problem.

And I also got to thinking, is my task perhaps sometimes coinciding with some housekeeping admin task at PA? Might there be a better time to execute my job instead of 12:54? I could run it a little earlier or later if needed.

hmm. Just saw this thread which seems to be exactly the same problem.

Thanks for the heads-up, and sorry about that.

You're completely right, that looks like it was caused by a housekeeping task -- specifically, an upgrade yesterday. Normally we put scheduled tasks on hold while the upgrade is running, then let them run to catch up once it's completed. That code must have gone wrong, and I'll try to work out how and get a fix in before we upgrade next.

thanks for the update. FWIW, I haven't seen the problem again in the last ten days.

Excellent, glad to hear it!