Forums

Browser Compatibility Question (IE10 on WinRT)

Hello,

I have had trouble in the past getting copy/paste to work consistently using IE for python anywhere, I just purchased a surfaceRT and I can't get copy paste to work at all in the editor. Have you done any browser compliance testing in this regard? I've enabled programmatic access to the clipboard in my security settings and for some reason it just doesn't work still.

Not meaning to sound snarky, but "browser compliance" is a unicorn, a myth. For years, IE has been deliberately engineered to be non-compliant with all other major browsers, so as to leverage market dominance and encourage web developers to use microsoft-only code that doesn't run on other browsers. The reverse happened, thankfully, and if you search for "internet explorer javascript shiv" you'll see many, many examples of stuff-devs-had-to-do-to-support-IE-because-it-is-terrible.

Not meaning to rant; I'm just saying, if there's a problem with PythonAnywhere and IE, it's probably IE's fault. Can you install a better browser on Surface, like Firefox?

It's also possible that it's a hardware specific, or build-specific, problem. If you use the same version of IE on a desktop computer with a regular intel processor (not sure what hardware iss in a Surface), do you get the same problem?

It's also possible, though unlikely given the browser, that it's a cross-site security thing that your clipboard doesn't work in the console. Consoles in PA run in an iFrame, and browsers do lots of dark magic to try and prevent the many, many security problems with iFrames.

We haven't done any testing against the Surface, I'm afraid, and we don't officially test against IE -- hardly any of our users use it (lucky us!) @cathalgarvey has a good idea, can you install Firefox or Chrome?

Thanks for the feedback :)

The RT platform runs on ARM so no I cannot install another browser unfortunately, unless I can find an exe compiled in ARM floating out there. It's not a HUGE deal as I can use putty and ssh in but I do really enjoy the browser experience.

As far as IE on a typical desktop goes, I occasionally have trouble with copy/paste on PA but generally it works fine, which is why I was puzzled. Although there's been weeks where the save button stopped working too :p I know IE is terrible for supporting convention but was just curious if ya'll had any feedback :) thanks!

Hmm. Looks like Microsoft are back to their old tricks again, seems they're deliberately preventing other browser vendors from accessing the APIs they need to build a browser for the surface. Shame, I was just about prepared to start sticking up for poor old M$, now they're no longer the top dog they used to be...

Just curious, how old is your build of ACE? I have been trying to track down the source of this issue and came across a post on the forums for ACE saying that the fix for this would be merged in and referenced this: http://github.com/ajaxorg/ace/pull/1030

Thanks for looking :)

Just confirmed that it works here: http://ajaxorg.github.io/ace/build/editor.html So maybe that is a fix you can merge in? :) Pretty please?

Cool. Thanks for checking that out. We'll look to upgrading ACE soon.

Awesome, you guys rule :) Hoping for the best!