Forums

Node.js or Python solution for WebRTC?

Hi

I was looking into implementing some WebRTC. But the simple APIs seems to be written in Node.js. Is it possible to use this https://github.com/priologic/easyrtc on pythonanywhere? Or could I solve it with some external provider just randomizing a chatroom ID and sending two people into it? I would of-course prefer to use pythonanywhere servers since we pay for it.

Cheers

Unfortunately we don't support Node.js apps right now. The current web infrastructure can only handle WSGI apps, which pretty much limits you to Python. Worse, if my understanding of the protocol is correct, the server components required for WebRTC need to serve stuff directly and can't work over WSGI either. So I'm really sorry to say that I don't think we can help right now.

(Aside: this is likely to change -- our move from Debian to Ubuntu plus some other changes that are required for reliability/scalability will make supporting non-WSGI web apps, or even non-Python apps, much easier for us in the future -- but not in the next few weeks.)

Hi PythonAnywhere fellows,

Sorry to bring this almost-a-year-old thread to life, but I made a search for node.js and this was the only result I found, and I didn't want to create a new thread as it's pretty much the same question...

I wonder if you have any news regarding node.js support (or non-python apps support, for instance) on PythonAnywhere - For example, I saw the Ghost blog software and wanted to give it a try, but it needs node.js to work. More details in here: http://docs.ghost.org/installation/deploy/

Thank you guys! -jim

It's something we're considering, but it might be a while. Obviously (given our name :-) non-Python app support isn't super-high on our list, but when we add support for non-WSGI Python apps then Node.js and other frameworks might just drop out of that. I can't give a timeline, though.

Hi Giles, thanks for your response. Of course - just wondering if some time it would be possible. Just to simple things, as in this case, to maintain a blog. Thanks again. Keep up the good work!