Forums

allow multi-user upload

Hi, this is a bit of a newb question but I'm not sure it was covered in a previous thread. I want to do the following:

• allow a user to upload a file, probably csv. Will do some processing of it. I think I would use Flask-Uploads or Flask-Excel and then use pandas to do some processing. For an initial test of just me, I'd upload to my limited PA space. For eventual production use, I assume I'd set up S3 or something.
  • allow multiple users to upload files that go into some individual area for them.

So my question is what is the overall app organization I should think about doing for this functionality? Is this more of a PA/S3 interaction question? Or Flask-Excel to MySQL? How would you give every user a "my folder" kind of space? Thanks for any pointers.

I'm not sure I can be much help with such a general query. The choices that you make will depend very much on the specifics of what you're trying to do. I should say, however, that you should be quite careful about authentication of users for their specific "my folder" space. You can's just serve all the files as static files or expose all of them in the same s3 bucket since then everyone would have access to them. You could use hashes to make urls that are difficult to guess, though, I suppose.

Thanks a lot Glenn. I suppose my topic is more advanced than I thought. I'll just work on functionality for myself first, and if I get far enough, I'll learn more about the multi-user (each user would have a login and some space) questions and topics, in which case I guess I'd be looking into a custom plan or integration with s3.