Forums

What happens to user.pythonanywhere.com domain after I set up www.mydomain.com?

I'm going to change my "username.pythonanywhere.com" domain to "www.mydomain.com".

After I complete the change, what will visitors see when they browse to "username.pythonanywhere.com"?

Thanks, Mike

They'll see a "Coming soon" page. The same as they would see going to any web app that doesn't exist on PythonAnywhere.

Instead of a "Coming soon" page, is it possible for me to display a page informing visitors of the domain change?

Only if you have a web app on that domain, in which case, you could probably just make it redirect to the new site.

After I rename it to "www.mydomain.com" how do I access "username.pythonanywhere.com"? Does the username become available, so I can create a new beginner account with the same username?

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious. Thanks for your help!

The domain name mriley.pythonanywhere.com is tied to your account, so only you can use it. If you signed up for another beginner account, it would have to have a new username (of course :-) so it would be able to have its web app at theotherusername.pythonanywhere.com.

With the account you have right now, you can have one web app, and it can either be at mriley.pythonanywhere.com or at www.mydomain.com. If you're not using the first one, it will always return a "Coming soon" page -- simply because it's not in use. If you want to have a web app on both domains, you'll need to upgrade to an account that can have two web apps.

Hope that's a bit clearer!

Thanks, that makes sense.