Forums

issues with ipython notebook kernels?

Been trying four a couple hours now to start a new ipython notebook.

For a while it wouldn't even load the page, for new notebooks or existing ones. Now, I can connect to existing ones, but when I try to create a new ipynbm, it says "kernel starting, please, wait" then it breifly says it's connected (even though the icon next to the kernel version is still solid gray), then it says the kernel died and will try to automatically restart, and then it tries and fails, and gives me this:

The kernel has died, and the automatic restart has failed. It is possible the kernel cannot be restarted. If you're not able to restart the kernel, you will still be able to save the notebook, but running code will no longer work until the notebook is reopened.

I've tried restarting the kernel, changing the kernel, and still the same "Dead kernel" issue. Deleted and made new notebooks. Other notebooks work.

Any ideas?

Hi there,

In the future, if your kernel is in a weird state, try killing all jupyter notebook related processes from the console tab > fetch all processes, and then refreshing your notebook.

While looking at your issue we just restarted the jupyter server, so you will find that all your notebooks that were open will also need to refresh/reload the page to become connected to the kernel again.