Forums

Files and Log show unreadable characters

Hey, my app works smoothly, but since today I cannot read my logs or files as they show only cryptical characters. I can download the files and see them in my editor normally, but in-browser view is impossible. Any changes undertaken?

Curious... You're referring to the web access and error logs avaiable from the Web tab of the Dashboard I assume?

Those links point directly to the raw files, there's no HTML markup involved, so your browser must be becoming confused. It's possible that someone made a request which included some unicode characters which have been included in your log file (e.g. as part of the URL), and that's confusing the browser when it tries to determine the encoding to use (maybe it's fooled into thinking the file is in UTF-16, for example).

When you save the file to your local disk and then view that in your browser, does it still appear messed up? Also, have you got any alternative browsers you could try it in?

Sorry, should have been more specific:

Clicking on a .py file I uploaded, i get as usually to the editing view with the save and save&run options. However, since today the file characters are unreadable. While the editing view loads, for a split-second I can see the raw code as if it was seen as a .txt file (without any markups). So i do not think its a problem with the file. Especially since I didnt change or touched it since yesterday.

The Logs I ment are those of scheduled files. Same thing, unreadable since today. I know that the scheduled files run, as I see correct entries in the database, but I cannot decipher the according log files.

At my first entry, I wasnt aware that also my MySQL console (like any other console I tried today) dont work anymore. They load, but no characters whatsoever are shown, typing is not possible.

I tried another browser, but as I only had IE at hand, it did not get any better.

I also suspected encoding issues with the file at first, but the facts suggest a bigger problem. So now the big question: is that an individual problem or is someone else encountering the same issues? Any steps I could undertake myself?

Hi meningo, I just took a quick look at your scheduled task logs and mysql console from my browser, and everything looked normal to me... Could it be some problem with your web browser? Can you check the encoding settings of the browser? And try another browser and/or PC?

Hey, thank you guys for your input and help.

By re-installing Java I was able to solve the problem!

Excellent, thanks for letting us know!

Ah yes, Java - or "The Zero Day Exploit Factory" as I call it these days. (^_^)