Forums

Bind domain name to my pythonanywhere account

Hello, I trying to bind couple of domain names (registered at namecheap) to my PA account. I am doing it like: - select domain (solfeggio-online.com) - choose "all host records" - added following rows:

HOST NAME = @
IP ADDRESS/URL = nosuchip.pythonanywhere.com.
RECORD TYPE = CNAME (Alias)
MX PREF = N/A
TTL = 1800

HOST NAME = www
IP ADDRESS/URL = nosuchip.pythonanywhere.com.
RECORD TYPE = CNAME (Alias)
MX PREF = N/A
TTL = 1800

But I still got "Unconfigured domain" error whe trying to access address solfeggio-online.com What am I doing wrong and how to bind domain names correctly?

I believe you need to upgrade to a Web Developer account to use your own domain name.

What's happening is that your browser does a DNS lookup and finds the CNAME, and so then looks up nosuchip.pythonanywhere.com and gets its IP address. It then sends a request to this IP address, but the browser sends the original domain in the headers: Host: solfeggio-online.com. Since PA doesn't know anything about this domain, it fails to find the correct web application and returns the "unconfigured domain" error.

You need to configure the domain on your dashboard so PA knows to expect it and can send the request to your web application, but as far as I'm aware you can't do this unless you have upgraded your account.

Thank you @Cartoon!

Cartroo is exactly right -- you need a Web Developer account to use your own domain.