Forums

Android Status?

If I open a PythonAnywhere console on my Nexus 7 tablet, I can type exactly one character. I surprised that I can't find much information about PythonAnywhere on Android. I would think that it is a FAQ. Is it supposed to work? If not, will it work someday? Can anyone fill me in? Thanks!

I've occasionally used PythonAnywhere on an Android Tablet (Asus Transformer) without problems and without deviating from the way I'd use it on a PC. I used the Firefox browser..

@corrt one character? that's a new one to us. our Android support is patchy, but as catweazle says, it should work OK. Which browser are you using? Can you try a different one? Can you describe the problem in more detail?

I am using a "Samsung Galaxy Note 10"+"Android ICS" , here are a few issues:

• the console does'nt play well with the on screen keyboard. I've been trying both firefox and safary. The text that is entered into the keyboard isn't properly forwarded to the console. Safary: Some characters are randomly uppercased. If you type "print", you get "prInt" ! Firefox: The predicted text is added to the entry. If you type "print", you get "pprpriprinprint" => Workaround : switching off the predictive text in the keyboard setup solved this issue.

• The Web tab is partially emtpy in Firefox ( but OK in safary ) , there is no link to the running website and no reload button.

Yikes, I've been considering getting an Android based tablet.

@corrt, @derivationBud: Welcmoe to PA. Stick with it through the issues, these guys are awesome and they'll get them fixed if you keep letting them know.

@derivationBud, I would think that Chrome is much more likely to be useable.

@glenn, Thanks for the tip : Chrome gives good results so far ( very limited testing ) . I do'nt see this usable enough to be a dev platfrom but it certainly helps to build tablet-friendly sites . Thanks

I also use chrome on android. I upgraded to the most recent chrome version. I have the same issue that I can only type one character - the rest is ignored.

@xsteve: Welcome to PA. It's a pleasure to have you join us here on the forum!!!

@xsteve -- thanks for letting us know. Which device and Android version are you using? We're trying to work out which ones we should buy and test for first.

@giles: You have my address. Be sure to send me whatever unit you want me testing for you...☺

Edit: I'll stay up all night drinking out of my favorite mug performing the requisite testing!

I have the same issue just types one charecter, from google chrome..also tried "request desktop page" still same problem.

Thanks for letting us know.

Is there an update on this issue? I tried both Firefox and Chrome, also "request desktop" but still running buggy. Thanks a lot for your great job!

hi there, what is the particular bugginess that you are seeing?

For example deleting with backspace deletes not just the last character but also parts of the bash console for instance.

Yeah. I see similar behaviour. I don't think there's much we can do about it in the short term, though.

OK, I understand. If I notice an "alternative solution" I will update this topic. Good job guys, thx!

16 March 2024 - using Chrome browser on Android 12 BOOX tablet and this is still a problem. I can only type one character in the editor. Was a solution ever found?

Use a keyboard that does not try to do autocompletion, like the Hacker's keyboard.

Hi - thanks for the suggestion - the Hacker's keyboard isn't available for my version of Android (the Play store tells me that the version in the store is for an older version).

However, I have installed the Google (GBoard) keyboard, and then proceeded to disable everything to to with text prediction, and found out that I also have to disable spellcheck.

So far, I can type. However, when I press the <enter> key at the end of any line, the last character is deleted.

I can put the character back by using the arrow <up> key to go back up, type in the character that was deleted and then use the arrow <down> key to go to the next line and continue typing.

The <enter> (or <return>) key seems to cause the last character on the line to be deleted.

Seems like it might have something to do with the editor.

I'll try other keyboards, with the same settings as the GBoard keyboard and see if it's related to the GBoard keyboard, but I suspect it's the PythonAnywhere code editor behavior.

Additional note: - A quicker way to resolve this in order not to loose productivity is to type a character I don't need at the end of each line (e.g., a period <.>) and then press <enter> - PythonAnywhere removes the period and then I can continue.

Not good - but I can can type at my regular speed and not have to keep going back a line.

Just also need to remember not to do this when I'm on my Mac :)

Thanks for the report!