Forums

Forwarding Confused

Ok, I have got my domain name from GoDaddy.com. I then added the CNAME of HOST to www and then "Points to" westgareefkeepers.org. Then on PAW I hit the Web tab and then "Add a new web app". I put it as the domain www.westgareefkeepers.org and uploaded my web2py application to it.

My problem is when I go and try to get on my website, if I just type westgareefkeepers.org it will go the the GoDaddy screen but when I type the entire www.westgareefkeepers.org it will go to the web2py application that I want. Can someone people help me ASAP....?

Well now they both do not work...

@johniii: Welcome to our community. I hope you find this to be a great home on the Internet.

My favorite suspect for this issue is the TTL setting on your DNS servers. Regardless of the issue I'm glad it's fixed...☺

It looks to me as if www.westgareefkeepers.org is correct:

Trying "www.westgareefkeepers.org"
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 57814
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.westgareefkeepers.org.     IN      ANY

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.westgareefkeepers.org. 3600 IN      CNAME   johniii.pythonanywhere.com.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
westgareefkeepers.org.  3600    IN      NS      ns48.domaincontrol.com.
westgareefkeepers.org.  3600    IN      NS      ns47.domaincontrol.com.

However, it appears that the bare domain westgareefkeepers.org is still a standard A record to an IP address which doesn't appear to be a PA host:

Trying "westgareefkeepers.org"
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 26984
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 6, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;westgareefkeepers.org.         IN      ANY

;; ANSWER SECTION:
westgareefkeepers.org.  3600    IN      A       50.63.202.22
westgareefkeepers.org.  3600    IN      MX      0 smtp.secureserver.net.
westgareefkeepers.org.  3600    IN      MX      10 mailstore1.secureserver.net.
westgareefkeepers.org.  3600    IN      NS      ns47.domaincontrol.com.
westgareefkeepers.org.  3600    IN      NS      ns48.domaincontrol.com.
westgareefkeepers.org.  3600    IN      SOA     ns47.domaincontrol.com. dns.jomax.net. 2013032603 28800 7200 604800 600

... So that website is only working because it's presumably still hosted elsewhere.

Having poked around a bit, I'm not sure the GoDaddy web interface supports a CNAME record for the naked domain name - for example, this thread seems somewhat relevant.

I think your options are either to set up a HTTP redirect on the old site to bounce people to www.westgareefkeepers.org, if you're planning to keep that hosting anyway; or to use GoDaddy's domain forwarding to achieve the same effect, which doesn't require you to keep your old hosting.

Or alternatively you can contact GoDaddy's technical support and ask if they support CNAME records for naked domain names, and if so how to configure that.

Wow, I so read the OP backward. I saw:

Well now they both do not work...

as:

Well now they both do work...

Thus my response about TTL.

Guess who needs glasses...☺

I rather assumed that's what had happened. Easy mistake to make, but full marks for optimism! (^_^)