Forums

Trying to connect GoDaddy to a PythonAnywhere app

I've been trying to find a solution for this for many hours reading all kinds of help pages and stack overflow pages etc.

I have already created a beta version of my website and it works here nax64.pythonanywhere.com but I want to have it the address www.languagenuggets.com (which I bought already) and I created a new app for it in the PythonAnywhere dashboard: www.languagenuggets.com. And I copied the virtualenv, the static files and the WSGI.

I called Godaddy support, but they were not able to help me fix the problem. The support said that I need to add the host IP to the A host. I did change the IP address at some point reading some instruction in some website. I think it was another host. So I tried to find a PythonAnywhere IP address but I could not find it.

When I type in my domain www.languagenuggets.com , it only gives me the text: "no such forward entry" now. So maybe I should change the forwarding somehow in my Godaddy account.

In Godaddy I put the host name as the one in my webapp webapp-XXXXX.pythonanywhere.com .

Hi there,

You will have to setup the CNAME for www to be webapp-XXXXX.pythonanywhere.com

You can check if your cname is setup correctly here.

You should see the following record:

Type: CNAME
Domain Name: www.your-domain.com
Cannonical Name: webapp-0000.pythonanywhere.com

Note the www on the domain name.

If there is no record or any parts are incorrect, then you will need to go back to your domain registrar and change the settings there.

Also note that updating the cname record may take time (eg: 5min+) for the change to propagate.

See our help pages for more info.

Thanks for your quick answer. It works now! :)

I'm creating a new website for my friend's project, so I need the other app slot. Is it safe to delete the nax64.pythonanywhere.com app from the dashboard now? So that it's still working in www.languagenuggets.com with the posts and the static files and everything.

yup. your custom domain will not be affected when your nax64.pythonanywhere.com is deleted.

Hy guys I have a similer issue. What value must I put in "host" field and "points to" field on the godaddy CNAME records

If say you want to setup www.yourdomain.com, you should set the host to 'www' and the points to to "webapp-0000.pythonanywhere.com". (where the exact 0000 digits are given to you on your PythonAnywhere webapps page)

Hi Im having an issue with this. I've tried to set it up like this:

Type: CNAME

Name: www.socialscraper.co.uk

Value: webapp-0000.pythonanywhere.com

I'm getting the error - Enter either @ or a valid host name such as: "subdomain.domain.tld"

Any ideas?

Just enter 'www' in the name.

Doesn't work: This is what it looks like

Thanks

Contact GoDaddy for help using their interface. We cannot provide support for GoDaddy. Also, you did not do what I suggested - you entered www.socialscraper.co.uk into the name field and not www.