Forums

s3cmd configuration error..

Hi all, 1. I have installed s3cmd tool under the guidance of following link: http://survivalguides.wordpress.com/2012/04/02/installing-s3cmd-on-amazon-server/. 2. Then I tried configure settings as follows: s3cmd —configure

error: Instead of asking for Access key and Secret key , I am getting following ERROR:

“ Enter new values or accept defaults in brackets with Enter. Refer to user manual for detailed description of all options.

Access key and Secret key are your identifiers for Amazon S3 Access Key: Configuration aborted. Changes were NOT saved. “

Please help on this.

Thanks in advance, Revanth

Sounds to me like perhaps the terminal for PA is messing around with the interactive prompting that s3cmd --configure tries to do, but that's just a guess. I wonder if there's a way of providing the values as a configuration file or similar instead of by entering the information on the terminal.

We already have the s3cmd tool installed at /usr/local/bin/s3cmd. I've just tried running s3cmd --configure, and as far as I can tell it worked OK...

$ which s3cmd
/usr/local/bin/s3cmd

$ s3cmd --configure

Enter new values or accept defaults in brackets with Enter.
Refer to user manual for detailed description of all options.

Access key and Secret key are your identifiers for Amazon S3
Access Key: [redacted]
Secret Key: [redacted]

Encryption password is used to protect your files from reading
by unauthorized persons while in transfer to S3
Encryption password: 
Path to GPG program: /usr/bin/gpg

When using secure HTTPS protocol all communication with Amazon S3
servers is protected from 3rd party eavesdropping. This method is
slower than plain HTTP and can't be used if you're behind a proxy
Use HTTPS protocol [No]: y

New settings:
  Access Key: [redacted]
  Secret Key: [redacted]
  Encryption password: 
  Path to GPG program: /usr/bin/gpg
  Use HTTPS protocol: True
  HTTP Proxy server name: 
  HTTP Proxy server port: 0

Test access with supplied credentials? [Y/n] 
Please wait, attempting to list all buckets...
Success. Your access key and secret key worked fine :-)

Now verifying that encryption works...
Not configured. Never mind.

Save settings? [y/N] y
Configuration saved to '/home/harry/.s3cfg'

Perhaps try uninstalling the version you've tried to install, and then try again with our version?

Thanks for quick reply, I have installed s3cmd (1.0.1 version) from the following link: http://survivalguides.wordpress.com/2012/04/02/installing-s3cmd-on-amazon-server/

Still I am getting same error. 1. Also please guide me, how to uninstall completely the s3cmd tool. Then I will try to install fresh one. 2. Please suggest good install process,

Thanks, Revanth

If you type

which s3cmd

into a bash console, what does it return?