Forums

Consoles stuck on "Starting encrypted connection to on port 443"

If I open a new console it works fine, but I can't view any of my running consoles. How do I fix this?

Sorry about that, it's a bug in our configuration. A fix is being prepared and will be live shortly.

That should be fixed now. You'll need to hit refresh on any stuck consoles...

Thanks for lettings us know! Do shout out again if you see any more problems.

Having this problem at the moment starting the MySQL console. Any ideas?

That is strange; there are no errors being logged on the system, and I was able to start MySQL, bash and Python consoles -- but looking back at our logs I can see connections coming in for your MySQL console but nothing after that -- it's as if the specific MySQL process you're connecting to is dead.

Have you tried killing that MySQL console and starting a fresh one? And are you able to start Python and Bash ones?

I figured it out. I had deleted my default database. I have been working with another database for my webapp instead of the default. Once I created a new default database it's working fine.

Ah, right -- that makes sense. I'll log a bug against this anyway -- we should have a better error message in this case -- or perhaps prompt you for the database to connect to.

BTW, I'm not sure if it's obvious, but if you want to start a MySQL console on a non-default database, you can click on the DB name on the MySQL tab.

Thank you for the info.

I can't wait to have this problem when I delete my default PG database...☺

But on a serious note...Any update on PG?

Nothing yet... the problem is mostly infrastructural; we get quite a lot of good stuff -- backups, etc -- for free from Amazon AWS by using their RDS service for MySQL... and so we need to build a lot of it ourselves for PostgreSQL. Might take a little while :-(

hi there,

Consoles stuck on "Starting encrypted connection to on port 443" please fix the problem. thanks

hi there,

this account has the same problem.

please fix it.

thanks

and me

Hi there -- sorry about that, one of our console servers is having some problems. I've taken it out of service while we fix it.

Just so clarify things: when you start a console, it's randomly allocated to one of the console servers. So if you see this problem, normally you can work around it by starting a new console.

hi there,

please fix it.

thanks

Having the same problem with some of my consoles. However, scheduled task are running correctly.

Thanks.

Hi there, one of the servers (consoles-8) did have a glitch, we've kicked it over -- are things working again?

we should normally get automated alerts for this, but that server wasn't in the list for some reason. we've added it now...

hi there,

please fix it.

thanks

Yes, same to me.

Hi there, could you try closing any consoles (from the Consoles tab) that are currently having problems connecting and then re-open them?

I have close them. But the consoles dont run again.

Three of my consoles stucked from last night

My colleagues just deployed a new fix -- will you give it another try?

Same problem now...

I'm currently experiencing this issue

Sorry about that, we had some more console server problems earlier on -- they should have been fixed a few moments after you posted your message.

Seems to be working now. Thanks!

Seems to be working now. Thanks!

I am having this same problem. I've killed all my consoles, but whenever I try to run a new program, it gets stuck again. Thanks!

Im experiencing the same issue again

Hi,

I am seeing the same message" Starting encrypted connection to consoles-2.pythonanywhere.com on port 443" since today morning.

It was working fine till yesterday night. I did not make any changes to my code since yesterday night.

Please look into it.

Thanks, Naveen.

Good day Python Staff,

This error is interesting as it seems like the problem is recurrent, stemming from a problem 5 years ago.

Please look into further detail what the culprit of this issue and so that it does not happen in the future.

Thanks,

Juan

I completely agree with Juan.

Its also very frustrating that non of my scripts have been running for over 6 hours now with no response or acknowledgement of this issue from the staff.

hi there,

Consoles stuck on "Starting encrypted connection to on port 443". please fix the problem. thanks

Its also very frustrating that non of my scripts have been running for over 6 hours now with no response or acknowledgement of this issue from the staff.

Honestly it's insane that we didn't even get an email about this.

Again the same error:

Starting encrypted connection to consoles-2.pythonanywhere.com on port 443

And no solutions..

It must be Sunday and they are enjoying the premier league football. waste my time

hi everyone, thanks for reporting this. one of our console servers (console 2) seems like it was under heavy load- we have taken steps to rectify this- do let us know if you are still seeing any problems. For future reference, if you see this issue again, do please report it, but if you kill any of your existing console-2 consoles and start new ones, they will start randomly on different consoles that are unaffected.

Sorry again for all the inconveniences!

Looks like its fixed now. Thanks !!

hi there,

Consoles stuck on "Loading Python3.5 interpreter...". please fix the problem. thanks

We're not aware of any console server problems at the moment. Could you give us the ID of the console that's showing the problem? It's the number in the URL.

[edit: removed reference to system update, as the previous post was made at 7:57pm, not am)

hi, all of them have the same problem. but at the time anything is normal.

OK, thanks -- it sounds like whatever was causing this was fixed by the system update this morning. We replaced all of the console servers with new machines, so presumably that did it. We'll keep an eye out, and please do let us know if it happens again.

Hello, PythonAnywhere staff! "Starting encrypted connection to consoles-2.pythonanywhere.com on port 443" error has occured again. Could you please fix it? Thanks in advanced!

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with that console server. Do you get that result with other console servers?

Unfortunately, I do. Most likely it's a local problem, either with my internet provider or some computer settings. Thanks for your reply!

Unfortunately, I do. Most likely it's a local problem, either with my internet provider or some computer settings. Thanks for your reply!

Could be -- the thing to look for is whether you're behind some kind of proxy or firewall that blocks outgoing WebSocket connections.

Hello, I'm experiencing the same issue as mentioned above. Console is stuck on " Starting encrypted connection to consoles-7.pythonanywhere.com on port 443". Please help!

Is this a console started from the file editor? Or a console started from the console page? Could it be that the console was closed and you need to open a new one?

This is exactly what happens when your roommate is using all the bandwidth

I'm currently experiencing this issue

Sorry about that, we had a problem with one of our console servers earlier on this evening -- our on-call engineer was paged, and had it fixed about ten minutes after you posted your message.

Not to offend, rather to inform, that the bug exists right now for me. Ill be waiting till it is gone (as I understand this is server side (your server side XD))

(5 minutes later) It is gone ♥, thanks!

thanks for letting us know! Glad it resolved soon :) Sometimes this happens when we are restarting one of our console servers for maintenance purposes- if you start a new console, you can get it to open on a different console server and it should work from there (if you want to save that couple minutes).

Reporting... Starting encrypted connection to consoles-3.pythonanywhere.com on port 443 11:08PM EST

Sorry about that, consoles-3 had a problem earlier on today -- our on-call engineer was paged, and I think it was fixed shortly after you posted your message.

Yes thanks!

I'm getting the same eerror too>> Starting encrypted connection to consoles-7.pythonanywhere.com on port 443

hmm, I'm not sure if we had any errors at that time- are you still seeing problems?

My console is stuck and i am not able to write a single word on a console

If you've pressed ctrl-s in the console, that would stop it from generating output. Press ctrl-q to exit the stopped state.

my console is stuck.. please fix it

Had the same error "Starting encrypted connection to consoles-3.pythonanywhere.com on port 443", but it's okay now.

Just wanted to know, what happens if I do not notice it for a long time? Does my console go back to work as it was or do I need to restart it?

Sorry about that, we had a problem with one of our console servers -- it's fixed now.

When that happens, the console will be reset -- it will look as if you just started it. If you want a script to be kept running forever, and restarted if it exits for any reason -- even if there is a hardware failure on the machine where it was running -- then with a paid account, you can use an always-on task.

Hi i am getting liveconsoles(Battlesoccers@green-liveconsole4:~$ ) when opening bash console.It throws a error "bash: mkvirtualenv: command not found" when creating virtual environment. I want to get rid of this liveconsole and want the bash console which just has(~ $ ) $ sign. I have tried closing it and reopening , but keep on getting the live console. Does anyone know how to get rid of live console and get ordinary bash console when bash is clicked in consoles.

my console is stuck again.. please fix it

The console should be running now -- we experienced an outage this morning that could affect consoles. Sorry for any inconveniences.

My console is stuck with "Starting encrypted connection to consoles-8.pythonanywhere.com on port 443" could you please fix this? thanks!

What happens when you close that console and create a new one?

The same issue. But now it has been fixed. Thanks!

I am having now having the "Starting encrypted connection to consoles-4.pythonanywhere.com on port 443" - Please give this a look - TIA

We had a brief outage on console 4 at around that time. It should be fine now.

fix it for me

hi there, our consoles should currently be running. can you let us know if you are seeing any problems? Thanks!

Hi I have same error: "Starting encrypted connection to consoles-2.pythonanywhere.com on port 443"

Have closed and re-opened a number of bash consoles all get stuck with same error.

Hi @DuckRabbitPython, do you still experience those issues? We had a brief outage of console 2 around that time, it should be OK now.

"Starting encrypted connection to consoles-10.pythonanywhere.com on port 443" Good day, i just got this error .Tried restarting and creating new file.No change.

I am having now having the "Starting encrypted connection to consoles-4.pythonanywhere.com on port 443" - Please give this a look

Me too, I am having now having the "Starting encrypted connection to consoles-4.pythonanywhere.com on port 443" - Please give this a look

Hi, @grafvadim, @harshdonga -- do you still experience those problems? We had an issue with different console server, but not with the 4th, and it looks like working fine now...

Hi, I also have the same problem: "Starting encrypted connection to consoles-8.pythonanywhere.com on port 443". Could you please take a look at it? Thanks!

Sorry about that, consoles-8 had a problem at about the time you posted your message -- it was fixed a couple of minutes later.

Hi, I also have the same problem: "Starting encrypted connection to consoles-10.pythonanywhere.com on port 443". Could you please take a look at it?

Best

Console 10 is fine at the moment. You may have a network issue or perhaps an overzealous adblocker is blocking the connection to the console server.

Hi, I also have the same problem: "Starting encrypted connection to consoles-10.pythonanywhere.com on port 443". Could you please take a look at it?

Please asap

It looks like AWS are having some problems in their us-east-1 availability zone at the moment, and two of our console servers are affected. We've taken them out of rotation, so if you refresh the page the system will move you over to a different server which will work. Things might be running a little slow, though, as all of the processing that would normally happen on those servers will have been moved to the others, which will in turn add on to their system load.

Hi, I also have the same problem: " Starting encrypted connection to consoles-15.pythonanywhere.com on port 443". Can someone help me?

There was misconfiguration on our side but it should work now. Sorry for that.

Hi, I also have the same problem: " Starting encrypted connection to consoles-25.pythonanywhere.com on port 443". Can someone help me?

We did have to do some re-arragement of servers in response to a security report. If you're getting that at the moment, just close that console and create a new one.

impossible to close it , i cant see the console in "your consoles" but when i open the pi file i have the console open and trying to start a connection

What file is the console for? (You can send us an email to support@pythonanywhere.com if you do not want post it publicly)

I'm currently having the same issue as Tchi, I can open a new bash console but I can't open a console to run any of my .py files, when I go to run one it just hangs on "Starting encrypted connection to consoles-22.pythonanywhere.com on port 443"

EDIT: for a paid service I'm having a lot of issues getting it to perform as expected, I'm now at the point where I cannot even use my CPU time as every console or task I try to run hangs on "Starting encrypted connection to consoles-22.pythonanywhere.com on port 443"

EDIT EDIT: Found this post in the documents for pythonanywhere https://help.pythonanywhere.com/pages/StartingEncryptedConnection/

Tells me to try and visit https://consoles-1.pythonanywhere.com/ manually and if I see a 404 then things are fine, but "if it gives you a certificate warning or a security error, do let us know"

I'm getting a 502 Bad Gateway, no matter what device I try on

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Check your guys load balancers....

EDITTTTTTTTTTTTTT: like twoeasy said below, back to operational, if we could get an explanation on frequency and reasoning for this is would help in my 30 day decision to stay, the service is amazing and my bot runs very quick... when they run

Experiencing the exact same issue as BlazdRiteNow, bash console is frozen with connecting message at bottom left hand side of screen "Starting encrypted connection to consoles-22.pythonanywhere.com on port 443.

Trying to go to https://consoles-22.pythonanywhere.com/ and get 502 Bad Gateway.

Getting the exact same problem as BlazdRiteNow, can't run any .py files and I'm getting a 502 Bad Gateway on that other site as well. Any help will be massively appreciated.

EDIT: Fixed itself. Consoles-13 was down for a bit. Noticed something was up when I can open a python console when it was going to Consoles-22 and it worked. :)

Sorry about that! Yes, we had a problem with two of our console servers earlier on. It's all sorted now.

I have a same problem on connecting bash console. I've got only the message: Starting encrypted connection to consoles-22.pythonanywhere.com on port 443.

Tying to go to https://consoles-13.pythonanywhere.com/ and get 404: Not Found.

We're not aware of any console server issues at the moment, and consoles-22 was fine at the time you posted. Are you connecting from some kind of institutional network? Sometimes they block the ports and kinds of requests needed to support our in-browser consoles.

Hi. Things are fine when I work from my windows laptop, but when I`m on my macbook, both consoles (bash and python) get stuck on "Starting encrypted connection to consoles-11.pythonanywhere.com on port 443" (Doesn't matter if I'm using Safari or Chrome). When I try to access https://consoles-22.pythonanywhere.com/ I get a security warning. What should I do?

Perhaps you mac has something installed or a setting that is blocking the connection. Check your browser developer tools network and console tabs to see if there are any clues there about what is going wrong.

I am also getting this hang error. My other account on pythonanywhere connects fine to mysql. just this one for some reason.

never mind. it works now.

OK, let us know if the issue comes back.