Forums

Python files being wiped clean...

...mind you I teach elementary kids coding so I am pretty sure they are doing something. However, it has happened enough that I thought I would check. Occasionally, one of my students files gets wiped clean. Just happened to one yesterday on a pretty complicated bit of coding. Is this user error? Or does this sometimes happen? Any hints?

Do you have the filename and the user that it happened to? It would also be useful to know when it happened. It's definitely not something that should happen, so we'd like to get to the bottom of it, but we can't do that without more info.

Yes username margotmscoding - the file was nims_game.py - she worked on it on Tuesday May 17 and went back last night and it was empty. She's working on it right now so there is some code in there.

By the way- when you say wiped clean, do you mean that the file disappears? Or that it exists but is a blank file? Or do you as a teacher give some sort of template/staring point and it is returned to that original state?

Also, do you use the bash console at all? Or just the save and run (>>>) button from the editor?

Exists but a blank file. And no - I don't start a template for them - they would love that :) No bash console use by the kids - I use it but they always forget about it. Just the Save and Run button.

Strange. I don't see any system errors relating to that account. Any chance it was a typo? eg. Control-A to select all, which is near control-S, then delete (perhaps to try to "undo" the control-A) and then Control-S?

If you don't see anything then I will assume it was user error - these are fifth grade kids and while bright not always paying full attention :) I just wanted to see if there were any issues like this out there. Thanks for looking into it!

One possibility that just occured to me is that they may have saved the file and got an error for some reason (network failure or timeout), they didn't notice the error and left, then the file could be left empty.