Forums

dropbox daemon crashed

Hello,

My dropbox daemon crashed and I can't get it installed again. How do I fix it?

12:41 ~ $ dropbox.py start -i Starting Dropbox...exec: 10: /home/du2x/.dropbox-dist/dropbox: not found

Dropbox is the easiest way to share and store your files online. Want to learn more? Head to http://www.dropbox.com/

In order to use Dropbox, you must download the proprietary daemon. Note: python-gpgme is not installed, we will not be able to verify binary signatures. [y/n] y Downloading Dropbox... 100% Unpacking Dropbox... 100% Traceback (most recent call last): File "main__dropbox.py", line 14, in <module> File "autogen_explicit_imports.py", line 13, in <module> File "ui/common/selective_sync.py", line 25, in <module> File "core/file_cache.py", line 75, in <module> File "core/memory_caches.py", line 48, in <module> File "core/sync_engine_util.py", line 9, in <module> File "common_util/librsync.py", line 6, in <module> ImportError: librsync.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory 12:43 ~ $

Are you running your own Dropbox daemon on PythonAnywhere? We really don't recommend that, it's unlikely to work and definitely isn't supported. You should just use the built-in Dropbox sharing mechanism.

You're right giles.

But, actually, I'm using the built-in Dropbox sharing mechanism. I mean, I followed the instructions from https://www.pythonanywhere.com/user/du2x/dropbox/email_setup/.

The problem is, the data is going, but is not coming from the dropxbox shared folder.

Is there something I can do to solve?

Thanks

Ah, OK, sorry... I was panicking for a second and thinking that a Dropbox problem we were having might have been a result of having two daemons running on the same machine...

We have been having a few problems with our Dropbox syncing over the last day or so, but the new version we just pushed out should fix them. It's currently indexing everything and starting up, but that should complete soon. It currently says

Uploading 321 files (20,277 kB/sec, 19 min left)
Downloading 3,261 files...
Indexing 5 files...
Downloading file list...

...but that timing number's not necessarily accurate, I think the daemon was written by the same person as the Windows file copy dialog...

Anyway, once it's recovered a bit, things should be back to normal.

hi giles,

the problem persists.. I see the other thread about dropbox issues, and someone said that maybe it's because of two pythonanywhere accounts trying to access the same dropbox folder..

Hi du2x,

Looking at the Dropbox server now. It currently has a large backlog of change requests. In the long run the solution is probably to shard users across different servers and tiers (paid vs free). I do see that your folder is shared with multiple Dropbox users including PythonAnywhere but I don't think that should actually be the cause of the these problems.