Forums

DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE is undefined

Hi Im going through the Django tutorial and after saving and running urls.py it says DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE is undefined in the urls.py console.

when I go to my project homepage it gives error messages too

here is the full message:

Traceback (most recent call last): File "/home/slenkar/hurling/urls.py", line 4, in <module> from django.contrib import admin File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/admin/init.py", line 3, in <module> from django.contrib.admin.helpers import ACTION_CHECKBOX_NAME File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/admin/helpers.py", line 3, in <module> from django.contrib.admin.util import (flatten_fieldsets, lookup_field, File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/admin/util.py", line 1, in <module> from django.db import models File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/init.py", line 14, in <module> if not settings.DATABASES: File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/utils/functional.py", line 276, in getattr self._setup() File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/conf/init.py", line 40, in _setup raise ImportError("Settings cannot be imported, because environment variable %s is undefined." % ENVIRONMENT_VARIABLE) ImportError: Settings cannot be imported, because environment variable DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE is undefined.

here is urls.py:

from django.conf.urls.defaults import patterns, include, url

# Uncomment the next two lines to enable the admin:
from django.contrib import admin
admin.autodiscover()

urlpatterns = patterns('',
    # This is going to be our home view.
    # We'll uncomment it later
    # url(r'^$', 'mysite.myapp.views.home', name='home'),

# Uncomment the admin/doc line below to enable admin documentation:
    # url(r'^admin/doc/', include('django.contrib.admindocs.urls')),

# Uncomment the next line to enable the admin:
    url(r'^admin/', include(admin.site.urls)),
)

# Uncomment these two lines to enable your static files on PythonAnywhere
from django.contrib.staticfiles.urls import staticfiles_urlpatterns
urlpatterns += staticfiles_urlpatterns()

Hi there -- I'm not quite sure what you mean by the urls.py console -- are you trying to use "Save and run" on the urls.py file? That won't actually do anything useful, it'll just run the file in an environment that's not configured for Django.

I missed the bit where it says to run:'python manage.py syncdb' to get to the next part of the tutorial

I started following the next tutorial on the django website but it needed django,utils.timezone which doesnt seem to be available, which version of django is used on this website?

I looked online and it said utils.timezone isnt available for django 1.3

EDIT- I have to import datetime from datetime

That makes sense. On the Django website there are tutorials for older versions -- look for the link at the bottom, and you can find the one for version 1.3, which is our default right now.

Alternatively, you can use Django 1.4 on PythonAnywhere -- it requires a bit of setup, though -- see here: https://www.pythonanywhere.com/forums/topic/123/