Forums

Anyone noticed can now haz multiple web apps?

Took aaages but we've got a first cut... whaddaya think folks?

Here's a re-post of our blog post on the subject.

Map of the internet

Well, it's been weeks and weeks and weeks, but we've finally (finally) managed to get a version of MULTIPLE WEBAPPS out.

This is a soft launch, so all you avid blog and forum readers are finding out about it first. We'd love your feedback! Is it working OK? Can you break it? What should we improve?

Is it working OK? Can you break it? What should we improve?

Head on over to your Web Tab and take a look. You'll spot your web apps listed on the left - at this point, if you're a Hosting user (which we're now calling Web Developer) you'll probably have two: one for your <username>.pythonanywhere.com subdomain, and one for your own domain.

These are now totally independent, so you can delete your subdomain app if you want to, or replace it with something else. You can also start adding any other domains you own, using a little wizard we've built (with much sweating and cursing at JavaScript I might add).

Also, what do you think of our new pricing table? Do you think we've got the balance of features right, esp. re storage space + number of web apps? What do you think of our new account names (warning: only the answer "super-cool" will be accepted as valid feedback to that last.).

[image credit -- "map of the Internet" by Steve Jurveston]

new account names are awesome :D

glad you improved the cname setup blurb.

That should be accessible from the site setup page.

it might be useful to be able to provide a wsgi.py file location to copy from on site creation.

Just curious, what's the proper way to migrate to the new system?

I asked on the blog about this last week and found out about the multi app stuff.

I initially coded my app under my domain, morepyplease.pythonanywhere.com, I then added a domain and cname redirection.

I was told on the blog that I can remove the subdomain app if I want and the other one will still work, what should everything be pointed to?

Does it just "know" that if I point www.domain.com to morepyplease.pythonanywhere.com that it should display the WSGI configuration for that domain?

In essence, can I delete my morepyplease.pythonanyhwere.com app in the dashboard and have the domain that is currently pointed to that location (and registered as an add on domain on PA) and the add on domain will still work, but my subdomain will no longer show the content?

Great work guys!

Yeah, you can now replace or delete morepyplease.pythonanywhere.com and it will have no effect on www.domain.com.

It does indeed "know" where to direct the request based on the host name that is requested by the visitor.

Barnsey: Both good ideas. We definitely want to make it easier to import an existing wsgi app. And glad you like the new account names!

Thanks, working great :) You guys are awesome!