Forums

Web worker clarification

I've searched the web and all I've got is that web workers have something to do with javascript. Though when I look at Python Anywhere, it seems the function/definition is different and the more web workers you have, the more hits/day my site can handle. I'm making a site for my first client who seems to have a relatively large following and I want to take the necessary precautions. Am I right in saying more web workers purchased equals more hits/day? If one web worker handles 150,000 hits/day, then two will handle 300,000? Is that along the lines of how it works?

Hi there,

It does look like the javascript crowd have attached their own meaning to the words "web worker" -- not that we claim ours was official or anything! It's just our term to describe the number of processes (we call them "worker processes" or "web app workers") that handle requests for your web app.

Performance should scale more or less linearly with number of workers, yes. Each worker can only handle one request at the same time, so we always recommend you have two or three, so that the occasional slow request doesn't slow down the whole site. But three should be plenty to start with.