Forums

Using Adobe Extract API from python

I am trying to use the relatively new Adobe Extract API to harvest text from pdfs. Adobe has sample code in python and I have been tyring to work with it. I am quite the greenhorn with Python, however, and the code has me stumpled. here it is:

import logging

import os.path

from adobe.pdfservices.operation.auth.credentials import Credentials from adobe.pdfservices.operation.client_config import ClientConfig from adobe.pdfservices.operation.exception.exceptions import ServiceApiException, ServiceUsageException, SdkException from adobe.pdfservices.operation.pdfops.options.extractpdf.extract_pdf_options import ExtractPDFOptions from adobe.pdfservices.operation.pdfops.options.extractpdf.extract_element_type import ExtractElementType from adobe.pdfservices.operation.execution_context import ExecutionContext from adobe.pdfservices.operation.io.file_ref import FileRef from adobe.pdfservices.operation.pdfops.extract_pdf_operation import ExtractPDFOperation

logging.basicConfig(level=os.environ.get("LOGLEVEL", "INFO"))

try: # get base path. base_path = os.path.dirname(os.path.dirname(os.path.dirname(os.path.abspath(file))))

# Initial setup, create credentials instance.
credentials = Credentials.service_account_credentials_builder() \
    .from_file(base_path + "/pdfservices-api-credentials.json") \
    .build()

# Create client config instance with custom time-outs. client_config = ClientConfig.builder().with_connect_timeout(10000).with_read_timeout(40000)\ .build()

# Create an ExecutionContext using credentials and create a new operation instance.
execution_context = ExecutionContext.create(credentials, client_config)
extract_pdf_operation = ExtractPDFOperation.create_new()

# Set operation input from a source file.
source = FileRef.create_from_local_file(base_path + "/resources/extractPdfInput.pdf")
extract_pdf_operation.set_input(source)

# Build ExtractPDF options and set them into the operation
extract_pdf_options: ExtractPDFOptions = ExtractPDFOptions.builder() \
    .with_element_to_extract(ExtractElementType.TEXT) \
    .build()
extract_pdf_operation.set_options(extract_pdf_options)

# Execute the operation.
result: FileRef = extract_pdf_operation.execute(execution_context)

# Save the result to the specified location.
result.save_as(base_path + "/output/ExtractTextInfoFromPDFWithCustomTimeouts.zip")

except (ServiceApiException, ServiceUsageException, SdkException): logging.exception("Exception encountered while executing operation")

This gives me a symphony of errors"

PS C:\Users\stand\PDFExtractAPI> & C:/Users/stand/AppData/Local/Programs/Python/Python311/python.exe c:/Users/stand/PDFExtractAPI/src/extractpdf/extract_txt_from_pdf_with_custom_timeouts.py C:\Users\stand\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python311\Lib\site-packages\requests__init__.py:102: RequestsDependencyWarning: urllib3 (1.26.13) or chardet (5.1.0)/charset_normalizer (2.0.12) doesn't match a supported version! warnings.warn("urllib3 ({}) or chardet ({})/charset_normalizer ({}) doesn't match a supported " Traceback (most recent call last): File "c:\Users\stand\PDFExtractAPI\src\extractpdf\extract_txt_from_pdf_with_custom_timeouts.py", line 31, in <module> .from_file(base_path + "/pdfservices-api-credentials.json") \ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File "C:\Users\stand\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python311\Lib\site-packages\adobe\pdfservices\operation\auth\service_account_credentials.py", line 203, in from_file self._private_key = file_utils.read_conf_file_content(private_key_file_path) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File "C:\Users\stand\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python311\Lib\site-packages\adobe\pdfservices\operation\internal\util\file_utils.py", line 15, in read_conf_file_content with open(get_file_path(file_path)) as file: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ OSError: [Errno 22] Invalid argument: 'c:\Users\stand\PDFExtractAPI\<C:/Users/stan/PDFExtractAPI/pdfservices-api-credentials.json>' PS C:\Users\stand\PDFExtractAPI> "

ANY help would be most appreciated.

It looks like it's running on your local machine, not on PythonAnywhere.

Hi - also trying to do this and was wondering if a resolution was ever reached

That previous post was someone having problems on their own machine, so we don't know what problem they were having. If you're running it on PythonAnywhere, we might have more insight; what errors are you getting? What code are you using?

Hi, So i am trying to run the following to use the adobe extract API

from adobe.pdfservices.operation.auth.credentials import Credentials
from adobe.pdfservices.operation.exception.exceptions import ServiceApiException, ServiceUsageException, SdkException
from adobe.pdfservices.operation.execution_context import ExecutionContext
from adobe.pdfservices.operation.io.file_ref import FileRef
from adobe.pdfservices.operation.pdfops.extract_pdf_operation import ExtractPDFOperation
from adobe.pdfservices.operation.pdfops.options.extractpdf.extract_pdf_options import ExtractPDFOptions
from adobe.pdfservices.operation.pdfops.options.extractpdf.extract_element_type import ExtractElementType

import os.path
import zipfile
import json
import os
import pathlib

credpath = (pathlib.Path(__file__).parent.joinpath("pdfservices-api-credentials.json"))
def extract(file):
    zip_file = "out.zip"

if os.path.isfile(zip_file):
    os.remove(zip_file)

input_pdf = file

#Initial setup, create credentials instance.
credentials = Credentials.service_account_credentials_builder()\
    .from_file(credpath) \
    .build()

#Create an ExecutionContext using credentials and create a new operation instance.
execution_context = ExecutionContext.create(credentials)

extract_pdf_operation = ExtractPDFOperation.create_new()

#Set operation input from a source file.
source = FileRef.create_from_local_file(input_pdf)
extract_pdf_operation.set_input(source)

#Build ExtractPDF options and set them into the operation
extract_pdf_options: ExtractPDFOptions = ExtractPDFOptions.builder() \
    .with_element_to_extract(ExtractElementType.TEXT) \
    .build()
extract_pdf_operation.set_options(extract_pdf_options)

#Execute the operation.
result: FileRef = extract_pdf_operation.execute(execution_context)

#Save the result to the specified location.
result.save_as(zip_file)
with zipfile.ZipFile(zip_file,'r') as unzip:
    jsonentry = unzip.open('structuredData.json')
    jsondata = jsonentry.read()
    data = json.loads(jsondata)
return (data)

I am getting the following error

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/LLR/extractpdftest/test.py", line 6, in <module>
    print(adobe_extract.extract('Sample_client.pdf'))
  File "/home/LLR/ adobe_extract_wrapper/adobe_extract/adobe_extract.py", line 51, in extract
    result.save_as(zip_file)
  File "/home/LLR/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/adobe/pdfservices/operation/internal/io/file_ref_impl.py", line 48, in save_as
    os.rename(self._file_path, abs_path)
OSError: [Errno 18] Invalid cross-device link: '/tmp/sdk_result/41fe7bfe014511ee9ba90aed526016af.zip' -> '/home/LLR/extractpdftest/out.zip'
>>>

That looks like a bug in the library itself, which is weird; they're assuming that /tmp and /home are on the same physical storage volume, which is not a normal setup for any Linux system. I googled for the error message and found some examples of people encountering the same problem on AWS Lambda, but unfortunately no solutions.

One possible workaround that comes to mind would be to store the file that you're trying to process in /tmp -- that might at least avoid the bug.

do you mean the zip file or the pdf ?

ok yep moving it to tmp worked

Excellent, glad to hear it! As I think you've worked out, I meant the PDF.