Forums

Permission denied error when running SkewTplus python2.7 setup.py install

Greetings all, I'm receiving the following permission denied error upon attempt to install the SkewTplus module:

The following error occurred while trying to add or remove files in the installation directory:

[Errno 13] Permission denied: '/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/test-easy-install-2776310.write-test'

The installation directory you specified (via --install-dir, --prefix, or the distutils default setting) was: /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/

Is there any way to be able to write to the "python2.7/dist-packages" directory?

The source code is in this directory: /home/KenPryor67/skewtplus/SkewTplus-master

Any guidance with this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance, Ken

Good news! I was able to successfully install SkewTplus from the source code by changing the PYTHONPATH and PATH variables. However, now, upon execution of the script soundingQuickView.py in directory "/home/KenPryor67/skewtplus/SkewTplus-master/examples", I'm receiving the following error:

ImportError: No module named 'SkewTplus'

I've changed my PYTHONPATH and PATH variables to directory "/skewtplus/SkewTplus-master/SkewTplus" and am still receiving this error. Is this a directory location issue?

Thanks again, Ken

Hi Ken -- the normal way to install packages is by using pip, which puts things into an appropriate place and also sorts out the system path and so on. To install that package for Python 2.7, you would run this Bash command:

pip2.7 install --user SkewTplus

See this help page for more information.

Hi Giles- yes, I did previously install SkewTplus with the pip install command. However, that version doesn't have some of the functionality of the latest version which is only available as a source install. I'm also contacting the developer, Andres Hortal (https://github.com/aperezhortal/SkewTplus) for guidance as well. If I can't get the source install to work, I'll revert to the pip install. Thanks again!

Source install should work. You can install it using pip and git repo.