Forums

Migrating Django Web Application from AWS Elastic Beanstalk

Hi there,

I plan to migrate my Django web application to Pythonanywhere, but I have some hesitations about it. I would be happy if I get some insight from the community.

First of all, I plan this because of the unpredictable pricing of the AWS. Hosting is not a problem, but it is more about the RDS, which costs around 12 Eur/month for each website. My website is more static and has a small amount of dynamic data. Even though AWS is more advanced when it comes to scaling and a broad range of option, it's a bit salty for a small business like me. I checked AWS Lightsail it costs around 4 Eur for hosting and 15 Eur for each database which is more or less the same situation.

After spending some time with hosting providers, I decided maybe I can use Pythonanywhere. Even if it doesn't support the naked domain name, I can give it a chance. Here are my questions for the experts:

Web dev €12/month plan:

• Do I need to pay an extra fee for each database as in the AWS for each website? As far as I read, MySQL is free of charge but PostgreSQL is paid.
  • Is 5GB disk space for each website, or it's in total including two web apps, databases and static files? I am confused about this matter mostly.
  • Can I upgrade my subscription without any trouble over time in case of high click rate?
  • Is updating the system easy?

Thank you for the support.

• You do not need to pay for each database that you create.
  • The 5G of disk space is for the account and does not include database space.
  • Yes, you can
  • You can update your code just by changing it and then reloading the web app.

Thank you for your reply, Glenn,

If possible, could you elaborate the second answer? 'For the account', do you mean it's apart from the web applications and for general usage? Because if storing static files are limited with this 5GB I am going to keep them in AWS S3 and use externally.

Regards

Your account has some disk space, which all of your web apps use.