Forums

Need some explanaition.

Hey guys, so I don't quiet understand the whole concept of some features, there are a few things that are not so clear to me. Can you tell me if I understood the following things right:

CPU time per day: If I understand right this is only if you need to run some scripts, this has nothing to do with your web app right? Because at this moment I don't need to run any scripts so I can just disable it right?

Number of web apps: Okay, so in my situation I only have one web application, but I can see that you could get up to 30 web apps? Why is that?

Number of web workers: Here I am a bit confused. To me it sounds like the more web workers you have, the more users my website could support? Currently you could have up to 70 web workers for each web app. But what if my web app already has 70 web workers and I would need more?

The rest is clear to me.

Btw I also wanted to host my database and web app separately, is this possible within PA?

cpu-- yes this is for consoles and tasks. if you don't have anything computationally expensive, you can go for the lowest tier

webapps-- some people host multiple websites on one single account. it is cheaper this way than having one PythonAnywhere account per website

web workers-- the more web workers you have, the more "subprocesses" there are that are waiting to process incoming http requests. eg: if you only had one worker, and suddenly 5 people tried to access your site at the same time, your webapp would have to process one http request, return a response, then process the second one, return a response etc, and do this sequentially. However, if you had 5 web workers, then each worker would process one incoming request at the same time.

If you want to have more than 70 web workers just email us and let us know, and we can set that up for you.

If you mean that you want your PythonAnywhere webapp to access a database that is outside of PythonAnywhere-- that is possible as long as you are a paying user and where you are hosting the database allows for external access. Usually databases are high risk, so eg: for the PythonAnywhere databases, we don't allow someone to access it externally, and only allow access from a PythonAnywhere server.

Thank you for the answer, things are clear now! :D