Forums

I want to use a naked domain

According to a thread from 2018, this is not recommended but is technically possible by making an A record instead of a CNAME. The language in the documentation also discourages A records but doesn't say that they are impossible to use with the service.

For best performance and reliability on PythonAnywhere, we strongly recommend that you use a CNAME to point your domain at our servers.

I understand all that, but want to use a naked domain anyway. I don't want to redirect to a subdomain. However, when I rename my app to my naked domain name, there's no mention of an IP address; only a web-address for a CNAME entry.

Am I missing something or has support for A records been dropped between 2018 and now?

If you can't do it through your host (Bluehost has no option for it for example), NakedSSL.com works for this. -Edit, this may be answering a different question.

@sogulslod You can still use A records, but it is just that if we ever switch around our IPs, your website would suddenly not work and you would have to update the A record on your end.

You could use something like ipify to find the particular IP of the server that your webapp is running from, but we may switch that around at any time.

Oof. That's inconvenient. Thanks for your answer. May I suggest that you update the language in your documentation to reflect that reality? Naked domains are de rigueur for a lot of clients these days and the possibility of having your IP address yanked out from under you takes that option right off the table.

We currently don't switch around IPs that much at all at our loadbalancer level, which is the IP that you would be using. To my knowledge this has not switched for say over a year. However it is definitely a possibility, eg: when this happened in 2017, we had to switch to a new IP.