Forums

every time i run workon my virtualenv ,my secret Key print's out

im just learning django so this may not be a big issue...i tried following the docs you had on enviromental variables and after that anytime i enter my virtualenv (workon virtualenv name) it enters but also brings this out

(virtualenv-name) 15:11 ~/bubus-treats (master)$ workon virtualenv-name
bash: /home/bubustreats/bubus-treats/.env: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `('
bash: /home/bubustreats/bubus-treats/.env: line 1: `export SECRET_KEY=secretkey value'

and also if its possible for us to work through enviromental variable , i hosted the site but i now want to add them i did but i kept getting errors ....sorry english not good

[edit by admin: formatting]

seems like there is a syntax error in that file. does your secret key have the character ( in it? perhaps you are not escaping it or quoting it correctly?

no it does not , i just confused i have been looking at it for a while now, but why does the error even come up when i start up my virtual env

Can I take a look at your files? We can see them from our admin interface, but we always ask for permission first.

Yes you can, although I was able to fix the error message by just removing the secret key from .env, but I would still appreciate if you took a look at how I set it up

@bubustreats is asked and @Adamsjach answers. We can't consider our question answered.

yes you can go through my files, sorry for the late reply ...

for those still looking for answer , i was able to solve this by removing the key from my .env folder , i was still getting improperly configured error though so i moved it to the /home/<projectname>/.virtualenvs/<vitual-env-name>/bin/postactivate, after doing that it worked , so the postactivate is sort of my .env folder now i guess ,honestly not sure why it works but yeah , my question now is it safe to leave the key in there......btw ..thanks for your responses

Safe from what?

i mean putting sensitive details in the postactive file and not .env

What is your desired state of things, as far as I understand your sensitive information have to be stored somewhere in your account. What is the difference?