Forums

Backup of files?

I'm thinking of storing my static user uploads (documents) into the PA server/directory.

I'd like to understand what measures are available for file backups in case of any unforeseen errors. Thanks!

When you store something on disk on PythonAnywhere, it's written to two separate disks, one primary one and one mirror -- so if there's a hardware problem with a disk, you should be OK. For disaster recovery, we normally take daily snapshots, but these are not guaranteed, and are really designed for disaster recovery -- say, a major incident at the datacenter where our servers are hosted -- rather than point-in-time restores.

If you want to protect yourself against accidental deletion of the static files that people are uploading to your site, either by you or if your code misbehaves, then I'd recommend taking your own backups too. As you have a paid account, one good way would be to sign up for a backup service that supports rsync (the appropriately-named rsync.net is one I've heard good things about) and then use a scheduled task to sync your stuff to their servers daily.

Fantastic, thanks for the concise response giles!

No problem!